Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are people as biased against bisexual people as it seems? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Genuine worry. I've seen a lot of posts on here and elsewhere recently about people being very judgemental against bi people and thinking they're more likely to cheat - Is that a common belief?
    Also seen things such as 'She married a man so she's not really bi.'
    I also get people saying that they don't believe in bisexuals etc. etc.
    I just worry - do people actually think these things? Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Smurf)
    Genuine worry. I've seen a lot of posts on here and elsewhere recently about people being very judgemental against bi people and thinking they're more likely to cheat - Is that a common belief?
    I for one am not, nor have I known anybody who was. Personally I only see it as a positive, especially if your attitude towards sex is very liberal. As long as the liberalism is understood and agreed with by your partner.

Who wouldn't appreciate the opportunity presented to them if their partner sought to bring another member of their own gender into the bedroom to mix things up occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    I for one am not, nor have I known anybody who was. Personally I only see it as a positive, especially if your attitude to see is very liberal. As long as the liberalism is understood and agreed with by your partner.

Who wouldn't appreciate the opportunity presented to them if their partner sought to bring another member of their set into the bedroom to mix things up occasionally.
    I wouldn't. This is something else I seem to come across constantly. Just because somebody enjoys both genders does not mean it is for sex only, and by no means does it entail having relations with more than one person at a time. :/

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't stating that as the only outcome, but as a potential path that a relationship could occasionally take. As I stated it was about mixing things up, allowing the bi partner to enjoy the full spectrum of their sexuality.

It doesn't mean the third person is a love interest, just somebody you find attractive. Sexuality in this Country is still extremely conservative, when viewed in comparison to the sexuality of our continental neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few friends who are bi and yes, there is biphobia present in society which I for one think is stupid. The thing is homosexuality has been in the public eye much more prevalently than bisexuality for a while which means homosexuality has become more accepted (weirdly).

As with lots of things, bisexuality is not considered the normal sexuality, even though it is perfectly normal. In the eyes of some people bisexuals are different therefore they are open to abuse and some of the ways it is targeted is by saying bisexuals are greedy, are more likely to cheat or are just confused and are only straight or gay/lesbian.

The people who think this are idiots and I can tell you now that the common person on the street really does not believe this. Some people are biphobic, some people will give you abuse if you are bisexual but this is the minority I promise you. Bisexuals will get some people saying those comments but only a few people, the majority understand bisexuality and know they aren't more likely to cheat etc. These views seem to be more common though at a school age as it is easy to joke about and will become less common the older you get.

The short answer (which you probably wanted more than the long one). Yes it is a view some people have. Is it common? No. It is the minority who believe this and a small minority at that. There are millions of people (myself included) who have absolutely no problem with bisexuals and know they are just as awesome as the rest of us Ignore the small minority who say these things, they aren't worth your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    I for one am not, nor have I known anybody who was. Personally I only see it as a positive, especially if your attitude towards sex is very liberal. As long as the liberalism is understood and agreed with by your partner.

Who wouldn't appreciate the opportunity presented to them if their partner sought to bring another member of their own gender into the bedroom to mix things up occasionally.
    I think that that's the issue, that people assume that bisexuals NEED or WANT to be sexually active with both sexes at the same time. That's not what bisexuality is.

It propogates the idea that bisexual people are promiscuous which doesn't help the cause TBH.

ReputationRep:
    No. This site is just full of backwards social conservatives who believe sex is only for marriage and you're going to hell for reading Harry Potter. Ignore them

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, all of you. My main concern was that more people had these views but hadnt expressed them to my face xD i'd hate to think friends would have these views but keep them secret.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, all of you. My main concern was that more people had these views but hadnt expressed them to my face xD i'd hate to think friends would have these views but keep them secret.
    Well, that's the internet for you; it's full of people who say **** they wouldn't have the balls to say in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    Well, that's the internet for you; it's full of people who say **** they wouldn't have the balls to say in person.
    True. Thus the worry. Anyhow, i'm glad it is a minority.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.