Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to head to Thailand for about 1 month after I finish my first year at university. Thailand has always been a dream of mine and I can't wait to go. I have made a budget of about £2000 to cover my flights (if i book early), food (apparently cheap), hostels, drinks and activities. This budget is based on some research I did. However, if anyone would advise i take any more/little then please let me know.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has been to Thailand and has any tips for me and if you can recommend any where for me to book flights and what i can do whilst there. At the moment I am going with 2 other people but none of us have any experience at backpacking.

Also if anyone has any pros and also cons about Thailand please let me know!!!

If all goes well I'll then be saving for my trip of a lifetime…AUSTRALIA!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP sounds like a plan. Thailand is a great place to backpack (though I preferred some of the neighboring countries in south east asia myself). I went north in Thailand and havent thus far visited any of the islands (at least I have an excuse to go back ). But yeah would recommend doing atleast 2/3 of islands based on what travel friends of told me. Nonetheless Bangkok and Chiang Mai are musts. Skyscanner is the place to start your initial search for flights...and if your gonna fly from London you may get a fantastic deal (have seen prices below the £430 mark return!!). Id say your just about right on your budget. The main cons for me of Thailand (in comparison to its neighbours) are its pricier, more touristy and more hectic. However, because of some of these 'cons' you'll always have a range of accommodation, places to eat and activities to choose from. Oh yeah and Thailand is far more organised with regards to getting around (transport links) than its neighbours. Have an awesome tie OP!

ReputationRep:
    When we went to Thailand we only booked our flights there and back and booked all our internal flights when we were there the night before because they went cheaper but obviously it can sometimes go the other way! Air Asia were the airline we flew most with within Thailand and we flew with Bangkok Airways once I think. I'd say definitely go to Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok. We went to Koh Samui but to be honest I didn't enjoy Samui as much as I thought I was gonna but it depends what your preferences are have fun & be safe

ReputationRep:
    I haven't ever been to Thailand but like you, it is on my list to do in a few years time!

However, I've known a few people who have been and they've recommended me to visit Tiger Kingdom which is located in both Chiang Mai and Phuket.

Have a great trip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    I have made a budget of about £2000 to cover my flights (if i book early), food (apparently cheap), hostels, drinks and activities. However, if anyone would advise i take any more/little then please let me know.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to Thailand and has any tips for me and if you can recommend any where for me to book flights and what i can do whilst there. At the moment I am going with 2 other people but none of us have any experience at backpacking.

Also if anyone has any pros and also cons about Thailand please let me know!!!
    I normally take Emirates. Its affordable and food, service and luggage quality is not compromised.
    But I would advise you to google an airfare comparison website.
    http://www.farecompare.com/flights/B...ON/market.html

if you're going to Thaliand do i take it that you're heading to Bangkok?
    Pat Pong and Prattunam are the places to go to for shopping.
    Clothes, accessories and shoes are dirt cheap in Bangkok.
    Clothes in UK are extremely expensive.
    considering they're made in third world countries for only a few cents :confused:
    but sold in UK for an arm and leg.

When I went to Thailand, I took Emirates and stayed in 4 Seasons Hotel.
    Emirates was great. however the hotel...........
    was the biggest mistake ever. such a ripoff. it was really expensive.
    look at this link for cheaper alternatives.
    http://www.bangkok.com/budget-hotels.htm

food and alcohol is cheap. August might be the hottest period to visit Bangkok.
    You'll be sweating bucketloads so ensure you hydrate yourself and apply sunblock.

I suggest you take Emirates and book a cheap budget hotel from the link above.
    the hotels normally have taxi drivers on standby.
    if either of them serves you and if you like his hospitality then book him for the whole day.
    you don't have to book him for the duration of the trip.
    just a day will do.

he'll take you around and bring you to nice cheap places to eat.
    it really depends on how well you treat him.
    do not show the ugly English side of yours that the world has somewhat misunderstood & come to know.

know your bearings like hotel street name.
    update your receptionist details of your plan for the day.
    ask for a name card so that you can contact her if you ever get lost.
    the Thais in general are very friendly. if you are in need of help, they will assist.
    lending you their phone to contact the hotel receptionist won't be an issue.

bangkok is known for its sex tourism.
    be very careful and do not engage in unprotected sex.
    when I was there, i went for full body massages with my parents.
    spa, facials, fish therapy (where you place your feet in a basin and fishes bite your legs), haircuts, dyeing your hair and so on are really cheap in Bangkok.

Sawadee Kap

ReputationRep:
    I am in Thailand now your budget should be fine... Thailand is a great choice for your fist backpacking trip, transport it easy to find anywhere, most Thais speak some english (or at least in the places you are likely to be visiting),you'll meet a ton of other backpackers, it's very safe (if you are not an idiot).... The list is endless...
    I have used STA travel a few times for flights, either website or ring. If your flexible with dates then you can get really good flights any questions I'm happy to answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thailand is Amaaaazing! I went in feb this year, and it was the best experience of my life. I did it for a month, and spent no more than £2000, with everything from the vaccinations before hand to flights, accommodation and food!
    It's so cheap to travel around thailand and eat, in the more rural area's we got meals for like 100 baht, which is as little as £2. Bangkok is a little more expensive, as are the islands, but that's just tourism for you aha!

Try everything you can, or you will regret it! I met people along the way who said 'dont go here', and im so glad i didn't listen to them because you got to make your own mind up about the attractions and places, and half the time i didn't have a clue why they said don't go aha!

If you can, do a city tour of bangkok, i found it such a beautiful city, and it's so interesting to visit the grande palace, and wat arun, places like that

We went to Kanchanaburi and did the tiger temple, and spent a day at an elephant sanctuary which was incredible!

I never got the chance to go to northern thailand, but the people i met said it's definitely worth a visit and is stunning!

We did the Eastern islands: Koh Samui, Koh Tao, and Koh Phangan. If you like partying in paradise, then it's prefect aha! Koh Phangan is mental! There's a different party somewhere on the island every night, from a waterfall one, to a jungle one, and of course the famous full moon party. If you can, plan your month so you can experience some sort of moon party (full, half, black etc). They're on Haad rin beach, which is the party beach on the island, and it was the most insane night of my life aha! So so crazy, full of people from all over the world, partying from 10pm to 8am when you're swimming in the sea watching the sunrise aha! It's not as expensive as eveyrone makes it out to be, 400 baht for a bucket, which isn't as bad as it could be!

The north of Koh Phangan is quieter, which is nice for those who aren't there to party! And i'd suggest staying outside of haadrin, purely because you can then pick and choose when you want to party, and not have it in your face 24/7. We stayed on baan tai beach which is a 5/10 minute tuck tuck ride from haad rin, and was 10x better! Felt more like thailand, rather than zante/magaluf aha!

Overall, you will have an amazing time wherever you go. I'm planning to go back out next year. wooo

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely go. You can get a return flight for much much less than 2000. STA travel will give you the cheapest, mine was about £700.

Thailand is pretty sick, but is definitely well traveled. If you go to the southern islands you'll have a great time. However, the popular ones have become so popular that you'll get the classic malia lads kinda people now, which is fun but gets tiresome for me eventually. I would check out the north, and if possible head into the neighboring countries. Personally I loved Vietnam the most.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all yours comments and tips they have been very helpful. With many recommendations I think i will be using STA travels to book my return flights for my month trip. I am aiming to go July/August so am hoping to book up around March 2015. I'd like to thank you all for advising me on places to go. I am super excited about hitting Bangkok and going to the Southern Islands.

Does anyone have any price guides for hostels, travel from Bangkok to the islands and any activities for me???

ReputationRep:
    Download Hostelworld app on your phone, change the setting so it orders them by most popular and then pick one in your budget... I tend to do that but not book it online, just go to the hostel and check it out, unless it's high season or such a popular place it's likely to be full.
    You can get a sleeper train to surat thani from Bangkok and then get to any island down South from there. You can also buy bus and boat packages from Khao San Road for cheap, but they will root through your luggage... Can be a problem for some people, for me I don't care, I keep all my valuables in a small bag with me so they never take anything. My number one tip is don't overthink it, don't book anything before you go apart from maybe your first hostel if you think you might be jet lagged. Thailand is so easy to get around, find accomadation etc so just go with it! Hope this helps! Any more questions in happy to help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I too want to enjoy this trip. I am willing to go.Lets see what the plans are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.