Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am changing school at the end of Year 10, which means that I will finish KS4 is different school. The problem with this is that I have been looking at the exam boards of my options in the other school's website and they are different.
    In my current school, I am taking English (Edexcel), Maths (Edexcel), Science, (Edexcel), R.E. (AQA), French (Edexcel), Spanish (Edexcel), Geography (OCR) and Business Studies (OCR).
    For example, the school I am thinking of changing to doesn't teach Edexcel English; it teaches AQA. Another example is Business Studies, which is changed to AQA instead of OCR.

I am just wondering what will happen since I am changing Exam Boards and how will that have an influence in my final exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momomizzy)
    I am changing school at the end of Year 10, which means that I will finish KS4 is different school. The problem with this is that I have been looking at the exam boards of my options in the other school's website and they are different.
    In my current school, I am taking English (Edexcel), Maths (Edexcel), Science, (Edexcel), R.E. (AQA), French (Edexcel), Spanish (Edexcel), Geography (OCR) and Business Studies (OCR).
    For example, the school I am thinking of changing to doesn't teach Edexcel English; it teaches AQA. Another example is Business Studies, which is changed to AQA instead of OCR.

I am just wondering what will happen since I am changing Exam Boards and how will that have an influence in my final exams.
    Hi there, I changed schools in the last term of Year 10 so I hopefully might be able to share some experience. My previous school did Edexcel English Language and Literature, and I had finished all the controlled assessments, but I dropped that exam board at my current school since it does AQA and my controlled assessment grades were rubbish anyway. If I did have very strong controlled assessments, I would work on the exams myself and would not take the hassle of doing all the controlled assessments again. I would tell the school to enter me for the exams in my previous exam board. However, unfortunately that has not been the case, and as my present school finished English Literature when I came,so I am having to learn all of it myself and prepare the controlled assessment as well. They haven't embarked on the English Language, so I am alright with that as I will go with the class on that one. But yeah, its difficult cause I have no guidance on English Literature so it can be difficult, however if you are a good independent learner, I see no trouble. I finished my AQA RS at my previous school but did not take the exam, so I have requested the school if I can stick with the exam board and revise by myself in RS lessons and they are happy with that. I am sticking to the same sciences exam board since they have no controlled assessments and I work by myself on those during science. For the rest, I have just changed onto the new schools exam board cause they have controlled assessments, and to be honest, if you work really hard, you can catch up cause there usually isnt THHAAAAT much of a difference.
    Business Studies is quite a tough subject apparently due to the slim grade boudaries and I dont do it so I have no experiences on that. Have a look on the website for each of the specifications, and judge the difference. If you have done the controlled assessment, you might want to stick to your old exam board.
    In short, if you feel that you can study by yourself and continue your old exam boards, ask your school to enter you for those, they might understand like mine did. It is very stressful changing examboards, but stay motivated and work hard and I see no problems. Good luck!
    Btw what AQA spec do you do, B by any chance?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.