Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 18th birthday is in 35 days and I'm wondering if it is possible for me to loose some weight so in years to come I'm not looking back on my 18th photos in disgust. I cannot afford to join a gym so if anyone has any tips on how to loose weight within this short notice period at home I would be very grateful. I am currently a size 12/14. I'm not looking to drop any dress sizes because that would be highly unrealistic. All i want is to loose weight around my belly/thighs as I'm hoping to wear a fitted dress.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just lose weight in certain areas, sorry. If you lose weight, then the weight is lost everywhere...
    To lose weight all you have to do is eat less. That's it. Feasibly, you can aim to lose about 5-10lbs in the given time period, by eating at a 500-1000 calorie deficit.

If you can't eat that few calories then do some exercise too, but just not eating sounds a lot easier to me.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=.JJ;48559234]You can't just lose weight in certain areas, sorry. If you lose weight, then the weight is lost everywhere…
    I understand this and don't mind loosing weight all over….it's just that i'm particularly keen to loose weight in the areas specified.
    Can you recommend any particular activities/exercises that are more beneficial when loosing weight.

ReputationRep:
    Cycling would be good for the thighs and is a good cardio workout, so good for the heart in the long run. Running would also be good for thighs. As a result of these exercises, after a while when there isn't much fat around your thighs, you will start burning fat around your belly. A low carb diet is a good way to lose weight. Think about what you eat, instead of just seeing something and eating it, look at it and think, is it healthy? How many calories? How much fat? Etc. So be more aware of what you eat. Small portions sizes also work. Eating little and often is very good, you don't feel too hungry at meal times as you have eaten recently so you eat slightly less and by the time you have eaten, you have burned off the food you had earlier (Hope that makes sense).

I hope this helps, if you need any more help/advice feel free to ask or pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went on a smoothie diet for 5 days. Didn't necessarily lose weight, but my stomach felt so much flatter. The smoothie had 7 of the 5 daily fruit and vegetables you require, lots of vitamins and nutrients you need too. I had that with a vitamin supplement and 3 litres of lemon water each day. I also had orange juice or apple juice if I was bored of water. Some days if have 9 of my 5 a day. I felt great and my skin was great at the end. I wasn't hungry as I had about 2.5 litres of smoothie a day as well as the water etc! Just make sure there's things like kale, spinach etc in the smoothie and not just fruit! I used almond milk in my smoothies to really make them low fat!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, are you going to uni this year? If so, they normally have gyms which are cheap to join. And running up and down stairs is very good, not fun or easy but very good and walk more often rather than taking the car.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. I do have a bike and seeing as the weather is pretty decent i shall take a few rides out. I have thought about complementing this with a smoothie/juice diet. What do you think? and yes i am going to uni so if i am successful in loosing some weight i will continue my fitness at uni in their gyms. You have been very helpful. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    I understand this and don't mind loosing weight all over….it's just that i'm particularly keen to loose weight in the areas specified.
    Can you recommend any particular activities/exercises that are more beneficial when loosing weight.
    It's all about calories in versus calories out. Any exercise that helps increase the calorie deficit by burning calories such as running or cycling is going to help.

ReputationRep:
    Long walks and jogs will do the job

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.