Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Frequently feeling guilty depressed about stuff in the past Watch

I keep thinking of times in my life where I have done something wrong to someone and feeling so guilty and pathetic about myself.How do I stop doing this and concentrate on doing good in the future.It honestly makes me feel so worried.I can't concentrate on what I'm doing because I start thinking about something.It could be thinking about an old friend and relationships or other silly decisions I've made.I see other people enjoying themselves and all I can do is think about the past and blaming myself for things.I feel really stuck and although I am taking steps to get back in touch with people from the past in order to lessen feeling paranoid about what others think of me.

I can't seem to focus on now, it's like my mind goes back to years ago when certain things happened.I get paranoid certain people hate me because I may have hurt them in the past unintentionally.Or sometimes I blame myself for giving people the wrong advice and so on.HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I keep thinking of times in my life where I have done something wrong to someone and feeling so guilty and pathetic about myself.How do I stop doing this and concentrate on doing good in the future.It honestly makes me feel so worried.I can't concentrate on what I'm doing because I start thinking about something.It could be thinking about an old friend and relationships or other silly decisions I've made.I see other people enjoying themselves and all I can do is think about the past and blaming myself for things.I feel really stuck and although I am taking steps to get back in touch with people from the past in order to lessen feeling paranoid about what others think of me.

I can't seem to focus on now, it's like my mind goes back to years ago when certain things happened.I get paranoid certain people hate me because I may have hurt them in the past unintentionally.Or sometimes I blame myself for giving people the wrong advice and so on.HELP!
    Firstly none of that is unusual many people find themselves doing the same. I have done it quite a lot in the past and in fact still continue to do it (rarely). But it can be a damaging thing to do. Honestly you can get back in contact with all the people you want but it won't help you with this situation. What you really need to do is become comfortable in your own skin again and to learn to forgive yourself for past misdeeds either real or simply perceived. When you stop torturing yourself and just welcome yourself home to you then you'll find the regrets, guilt and negative thoughts will simply evaporate as if they never were.

Fire us on a PM if you need a chat hero.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.