Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Grades permitting I am hoping to study at UON this coming september. I will the first person in my family to ever go to uni and i don't have many 'close' older friends who have been. This therefore makes me really nervous and apprehensive about starting uni. I understand that freshers is a big week and its often where people begin to form friendships but i have no idea what to expect or what to look forward to.
    • How do i hear about all the events?
    • How do i get the freshers tshirts?
    • Do i go out with my flat mates?
    • How and where do i hear about the societies?

ReputationRep:
    Website/posters/ I imagine they will hand out a schedule
    Ask your hall rep, I imagine they hand them out
    yes! if they ask you out, say hell yeah. If they don't ask, ask them instead.
    website/fresher's fayre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    Grades permitting I am hoping to study at UON this coming september. I will the first person in my family to ever go to uni and i don't have many 'close' older friends who have been. This therefore makes me really nervous and apprehensive about starting uni. I understand that freshers is a big week and its often where people begin to form friendships but i have no idea what to expect or what to look forward to.
    1. How do i hear about all the events?
    2. How do i get the freshers tshirts?
    3. Do i go out with my flat mates?
    4. How and where do i hear about the societies?
    1. There will be a dedicated website emailed out and plugged on Facebook/Twitter with the details for all events. Week One Reps in your halls will also have all the information, and the SU reception in Portland Building is amazing too.
    2. You'll pick them up from your Week One Reps in halls when you move-in, or if you're not living in halls there will be a clearly-advertised (website, Facebook, Twitter) place to pick one up.
    3. Ask them! Seriously, everybody's in the same boat wanting to make new friends and you can tag along with any group or ask people and they'll be more than happy to go out or invite you to whatever they're doing instead
    4. You can look them up now on the SU website (http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/socie...d-a-society/); find them on Facebook, Twitter, or Google; or see them in person at their stall at the 3-day Fresher's Fair on University Park (or Sutton Bonington/Derby if you're studying there) - it's in Week One.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    • How do i hear about all the events?
    • How do i get the freshers tshirts?
    • Do i go out with my flat mates?
    • How and where do i hear about the societies?
    I just graduated from Uni of Notts and I can answer pretty much all of it.

1. Keep checking su.nottingham.ac.uk or the university / hall's facebook page. Also you'll be given a welcome pak that will have all the Week One activities in it. Moreover, you'll get Week One reps, who will tell you all about what's happening when. It's really simple.

2. Freshers T-Shirts can be collected when you arrive at your hall. Week One reps will be giving out tickets for the Finale Party as well as for Freshers night outs. T-Shirts with your hall can be bought at that time. Usually this happens in the Common Room of your hall. I remember mine cost me £5 in 2011.

3. That's really up to you. You can, but you don't have to. Usually during the first week and the few following, you'll be going out with flatmates or hallmates as those will be the first people you'll get to know at uni. But after that if you get to know others, or know some people off facebook, you can also go with others or even your coursemates.

4. There are various options. Again, check out su.nottingham.ac.uk where you will be able to see all the 210ish Societies and 80ish Sports Clubs the university has to offer along with the few university run activities such as NUTS (TV Station), URN (Radio Station), Impact (Magazine), and and and. Alternatively or in addition to this, you have the Freshers Fair, which is held on the Mon - Wed of Freshers Week (Week One) near the Sports Centre (University Park). All societies and sports clubs as well as other activities and companies (Nottingham Transport, Taxis, FREE Dominos, etc) will have their stalls in that Freshers Fair. It's held in a huge white marquee so you can't miss it and usually everyone goes there. Speak to interesting societies' members and ask them questions regarding what it's all about, what to expect, how much the joining fees are etc etc.

Hope this helps If you have any other questions, feel free to quote me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.