Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting uni as a virgin Watch

Announcements

I am hoping to start at uni in september yet i am nervous about coming across boys who i like as i have never had a bf and never had sex. I always have this assumption that i am not a natural 'lovey dovey' person so try to avoid relationships. However, away from home i am looking to find a bf so i can experience 'love' and feel a bit more normal.
    When forming relationships what is the best approach to take..completely jump in head first, wait for the boy to ask me out or see how things go as mates?
    Is it also very old fashioned of me to not want to rush in and have sex when in a relationship - I am looking to loose my virginity to someone who i love and i don't think it is possible for me to do so to a person who i don't consider to know very well. I'm looking to wait for 6months+ before having sex is this too long…will boys wait especially boys at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which uni course you are going for... I recommend looking in the computer science area; they can wait 6 months.

I'm in the same boat as you. But at the same time I don't want to get involved with a guy as it would be my first year, first time. Try not to think about it that's when something happens!lol If he genuinely likes you he'll wait and if not he's a douche and he needs to be kicked to the curb. So don't worry about it and don't be pressurized! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think the best way to start uni is with an open mind. Don't say "I am definitely going to wait several months before having sex", because you might find a guy who you feel ready to have sex with after a few weeks. Just enjoy yourself and don't feel pressured by people around you to do anything, but at the same time don't hold yourself back just because you think what everyone else is doing is wrong.

I'm a guy going to uni as a virgin and I also want to wait and meet the right person before I rush into having a sexual relationship but as Carpe Vinum says, just go in with an open mind - nobody really knows what'll happen at uni, you may meet a potential boyfriend within the first couple of months or way later down the line but you'll meet someone. Plenty of boys at uni (like myself) are feeling the same as you and they will respect the fact you want to get to know them before you jump into bed with them haha.

Honestly, don't fret about it. Concentrate on getting to know people first and then you may find that a potential friendship you've made with another boy will go further. All the best!

22 year old male virgin here going uni in september, so im sure theres plenty others, but theres also plenty others who arnt. Some ppl have sex on the first night of uni, others go through uni and leave still a virgin, just gota do your best to meet the right ppl & sniff out the players and sluts who arnt worth your time.

Just thought id add theres nothing wrong with with ppl who are very sexual or virgins

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.