Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think that it's stupid/selfish that most people have political beliefs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Somebody said to me earlier today that a lot of farmers are conservative. I don't know whether this is true, but I don't understand why they would be. They work hard ploughing soil etc, they don't work hard cracking open economics and politics textbooks.

Is it just that they feel they "work hard" and the conservatives are for "hard-working people"?

It seems selfish or stupid to have political beliefs without actually educating yourself. Would a farmer have enough time to actually decide which political stance is best?

I don't have political beliefs really. I sometimes post stuff on here to troll or because I think I might learn from the responses, or if something seems completely unfair...but even then I don't go out and vote.

I haven't studied economics or politics.

How long would somebody have to study, in your opinion, to make an informed vote, based on their principles?

I hope this post isn't inflammatory.

ReputationRep:
    I think its more selfish when people don't vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    You support labour, right? Would you rather that somebody didn't vote or voted conservative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    You support labour, right? Would you rather that somebody didn't vote or voted conservative?
    Voted conservative if that's truly what they believe in. Or, at least chose a party they don't like and voted for someone else. Not voting is just letting the nutters speak for you.

ReputationRep:
    Voted conservative if that's truly what they believe in. Or, at least chose a party they don't like and voted for someone else. Not voting is just letting the nutters speak for you.
    Taking this to the extreme though, if 80% of the country believes in a nazi style party which plans to commit a genocide, is it more selfish to vote for them or to not vote at all?

ReputationRep:
    Taking this to the extreme though, if 80% of the country believes in a nazi style party which plans to commit a genocide, is it more selfish to vote for them or to not vote at all?
    That's a totally ridiculous scenario which would never happen and doesn't really warrant an answer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to study to have a political opinion. You need to have a brain and the ability to think, the ability to work out what problems you think there are in the world and the ability to establish what you think should be done about them.

ReputationRep:
    That's a totally ridiculous scenario which would never happen and doesn't really warrant an answer
    Ok, but how far do you take your belief?

Would you rather that 51% of the country voted conservative and 49% labour, and then all the things you don't like about conservative happened (I don't know what that'd be...quadriplegics starving in their own filth etc), or that 48.5% of the country voted conservative, 49% labour and 2.5% didn't vote, and everything you like about labour happened?

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you on this, I hate trying to form an opinion on things I don't feel I know very much about. However I'd feel bad about not voting so I normally do one of those online tests to determine which party my views are most suited to for that election.

ReputationRep:
    On that comment...what if one genuinely doesn't like a single party or agree with any of them? Isn't it just as bad to vote not liking a single party so you are just choosing one at random?

Personally I think (and so does my mum) that we should be allowed a negative vote if we so wish. So I can vote for the party I least want to get in. I don't really like any of the parties but I hate some as opposed to be apathetic to others. Would definitely be a good system to implement.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what issues they care about, if they only care about certain things a few weeks can be enough to decide an opinion.

There is no set time frame, it took me six years to really get mine.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody said to me earlier today that a lot of farmers are conservative. I don't know whether this is true, but I don't understand why they would be. They work hard ploughing soil etc, they don't work hard cracking open economics and politics textbooks.

Is it just that they feel they "work hard" and the conservatives are for "hard-working people"?

It seems selfish or stupid to have political beliefs without actually educating yourself. Would a farmer have enough time to actually decide which political stance is best?

I don't have political beliefs really. I sometimes post stuff on here to troll or because I think I might learn from the responses, or if something seems completely unfair...but even then I don't go out and vote.

I haven't studied economics or politics.

How long would somebody have to study, in your opinion, to make an informed vote, based on their principles?

I can understand believing passionately that the disabled should be looked after, so that you might vote labour, or that hard workers should be rewarded, so that you might vote conservative.

I hope this post isn't inflammatory.
    I don't understand how you think farmers do not understand politics. I'm not into farming myself but I'm pretty sure their reasons for being more conservative might be because they tend to be independent businesses which is commonly seen to be more protected by the Cs. Not really sure why you think a farmer would have less time to 'study' politics than anyone else...

I am of the opinion that anyone of every variety of understanding or intelligence should have their say in how this country runs - its very subjective to say someone is "wrong" about something when its how they perceive the world, using the resources they have at hand. I'd personally like some sort of education in schools or somewhere on political issues to try and empower people into making informed choices, but no everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    You say this but the NAZI party was a real party that people voted in on numerous occasions? :eek: I don't see how its a ridiculous scenario
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    A person's political ideology is mostly a matter of their values. In this case, a "hard working person" might have values common among "hard-working people" generally. Politics is rarely a matter of education - values get in the way almost every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    I'm pretty sure their reasons for being more conservative might be because they tend to be independent businesses which is commonly seen to be more protected by the Cs. Not really sure why you think a farmer would have less time to 'study' politics than anyone else...
    So they're protecting their own interests, which would fall into the category of a "selfish" reason for voting. I said stupid/selfish.

Well farmers work really long hours, and according to this have lower IQs on average than people in lots of jobs:
    http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/occupations.aspx

I'm not saying IQ is everything of course. But for understanding the economics/politics etc which could potentially come into an informed political decision, I imagine it could be quite important.

I hope I'm not being rude. I'm just trying to talk in facts/have a real discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    On that comment...what if one genuinely doesn't like a single party or agree with any of them? Isn't it just as bad to vote not liking a single party so you are just choosing one at random?

Personally I think (and so does my mum) that we should be allowed a negative vote if we so wish. So I can vote for the party I least want to get in. I don't really like any of the parties but I hate some as opposed to be apathetic to others. Would definitely be a good system to implement.
    Then you choose the one you dislike most and vote for the party most likely to keep them out.

Also maybe try getting in involved in politics so that it actually has a reason to represent your views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    You say this but the NAZI party was a real party that people voted in on numerous occasions? :eek: I don't see how its a ridiculous scenario
    Well you know, clearly they were very selfish to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but how far do you take your belief?

Would you rather that 51% of the country voted conservative and 49% labour, and then all the things you don't like about conservative happened (I don't know what that'd be...quadriplegics starving in their own filth etc), or that 48.5% of the country voted conservative, 49% labour and 2.5% didn't vote, and everything you like about labour happened?
    Well of course I personally would prefer the second scenario, however pushing past that I think sitting on your arse and then moaning when no party represents you, as our generation does, is the lowest of the low. Maybe if 51% of the country voted conservative they might have to actually bring in policies that help young people for once.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course I personally would prefer the second scenario, however pushing past that I think sitting on your arse and then moaning when no party represents you, as our generation does, is the lowest of the low. Maybe if 51% of the country voted conservative they might have to actually bring in policies that help young people for once.
    But couldn't it take a length study of economics/politics to actually come to a conclusion on which policies would actually help you?

e.g. on the surface, a party paying a bus company to give everyone a bus pass so they can expand the radius of their job search might seem good, but perhaps the taxes this would cost would encourage employers to hire fewer people or any other number of things. This is a silly example perhaps, because I haven't studied economics or politics (as I said), but it just doesn't seem as simple as "vote for the policies you like the sound of on the surface and the promises a party makes."

ReputationRep:
    Then you choose the one you dislike most and vote for the party most likely to keep them out.

Also maybe try getting in involved in politics so that it actually has a reason to represent your views?
    What if I don't agree with any of them? I don't want a single one of them in so I would be voting for a party I don't believe in and don't want.

(Btw I'm not actually of voting age yet, I'm 17 so have never had a chance to vote and I definitely will vote, I do agree it is a waste not to, I'm just suggesting this view )

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.