Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

quitting my job to follow dream, my parents disaprove Watch

ReputationRep:
    I work as a surveyor because my parents thought I should do something good for a job so i went to university and got a surveying job. however I was in a kareoke bar 2 weeks ago and had the time of my life.

It was the best thing I had ever seen and I couldnt believe at the age of 23 that I had never been to a kareoke bar. I decided there and then that I want to live life to the full, I want to sing kareoke at kareoke bars professionally.

I told my parents that I am thinking of quitting my job to persue this dream and they told me Im bonkers. I disagree, I think if you want something enough, any dream can come true. I know in my heart tthat I will be a professional kareoke singer by the age of 24.

My dad says if I quit my job and do this then they will not support me financially while I start out, which I think is unfair as I can pay him back once Ive made it big.

Currently though, im risking not having any money for a while if he wont support me.

How can I win them over

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you keep your career and do Karaoke part time?

ReputationRep:
    Don't Stop Believing.

Tell them to Just Give You a Reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    Why can't you keep your career and do Karaoke part time?
    Because then I wouldnt be living the dream. The dream is to sing kareoke at kareoke bars for a living. No more offices, no more 9 to 5, no more wishing \I was somewhere else all day.

I know I will be a professional kareoke singer, because I believe it and thats all you need.

If you have a dream, I suggest you follow yours too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.