Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now I know this is a long shot but Im a mature student (22) I have A levels;

Maths (A*)
    Economics (B)
    English (B)

Im taking further maths next year and if I get an A* I can go kings or UCL (spoken to them)...

BUT...
    Say I take STEP 2,3 and get a 1 in both.. Will that be enough to get an interview say I apply the following year with them grades?

Bare in mind my GCSEs are average (A's B's and C's)...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiri)

Maths (A*)
    Economics (B)
    English (B)

Im taking further maths next year and if I get an A* I can go kings or UCL (spoken to them)...

BUT...
    Say I take STEP 2,3 and get a 1 in both.. Will that be enough to get an interview say I apply the following year with them grades?

I'm definitely not an expert so take this with a pinch of salt but if you apply to Cambridge with A*s in Maths and Further Maths as well as 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3, I'd say you've got a very good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiri)

Maths (A*)
    Economics (B)
    English (B)

BUT...

Technically the offer is A*A*(m+fm)A, but if you do indeed get 1,1 then it's more than likely they'll accept you. They're extremely difficult papers though.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Moved to University of Cambridge forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiri)

Maths (A*)
    Economics (B)
    English (B)

BUT...

A*A* in M + FM and 1, 1 in STEP II + III is pretty much a guaranteed interview. You will also be in with a strong chance of getting an offer on the strength of those results alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    A*A* in M + FM and 1, 1 in STEP II + III is pretty much a guaranteed interview. You will also be in with a strong chance of getting an offer on the strength of those results alone.
    What if theyre interview wasnt spectacular...say they scored 6s and 7s out of 10...but the ums is high and they have 1,1 . Would a 'not great' set of interviews be overlooked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    What if theyre interview wasnt spectacular...say they scored 6s and 7s out of 10...but the ums is high and they have 1,1 . Would a 'not great' set of interviews be overlooked?
    The maths interview is a test of maths not personality. It is difficult to imagine somebody who scored 1,1 getting such low interview scores alongside the rest of the field who will include those who never achieve an offer and the 50% of those who get a STEP offer but failed to do as well as 1:1.

What nobody can tell you is if everybody who ever applied with 1;1 achieved always gets an offer. There are not that many in that situation. It seems to me far more people expect to do well at STEP in this forum than subsequently go on to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    Depends on individual DoS' weightings of criteria and the strength of the competition etc. Nothing is a sure shot, of course, but I'd be surprised if they didn't at least get a spot through the pool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    The maths interview is a test of maths not personality. It is difficult to imagine somebody who scored 1,1 getting such low interview scores alongside the rest of the field who will include those who never achieve an offer and the 50% of those who get a STEP offer but failed to do as well as 1:1.

What nobody can tell you is if everybody who ever applied with 1;1 achieved always gets an offer. There are not that many in that situation. It seems to me far more people expect to do well at STEP in this forum than subsequently go on to do so.
    I dont think most people expect to do well....certainly before I started preparing I thought it would take a lot more work to get 1,1 than i feel i had to do...though we will see on results day ofc.

People are simply posing hypothetical questions in the best possible scenario...because, after all, to get into cambridge that is what you need

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.