Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any good sinister dystopian books/authors? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've read Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale' and I enjoyed it.

Can anyone recommend me similar books/authors?

Preferably set in a dystopian world (fascist-y ) with a government/leader that is really evil and with a female protagonist preferably but if the book is good I don't mind a male protagonist.

Please don't suggest The Hunger Games, Divergent or 1984. All fine but I'd like to read something different.

Looking for Adult fiction.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First book that comes to mind is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I personally preferred it to 1984 (and A Handmaids Tale).

ReputationRep:
    The Gone Series by michael grant...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say something really stupid. I've never understood the word 'sinister'. Can someone explain it haha?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Huxley's Brave New World springs to mind as the obvious choice. I preferred 1984, but BNW is very popular. Fahrenheit 451 is another famous dystopian novel but I've never read it. Finally, whilst it's not a book, Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series is a really good piece of dystopian film.

(Original post by scrawlx101)
    The Gone Series by michael grant...
    Good series, but it's not adult fiction.

ReputationRep:
    o.O
    sorry for the shameless self plug but:

do you mind reading + telling me what you think of my story?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10527235/1/The-Mysterious-Baron-Of-Fairy-Tail

can you describe to me what you think Garret's personality is?

ReputationRep:
    China Mieville's The City & The City or his Bas-Lag trilogy? Or Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash? They don't have female protagonists though.

If you haven't already read it, I'd suggest Franz Kafka's The Trial. Although it does not meet your requirements per se, the plot and themes are similar to and has influenced a lot of dystopian writing.

And... of course there is Philip K. ****'s Do Androids Dreams of Electric Sheep?

ReputationRep:
    I am Legend paints a truly disturbing picture. H.G. Wells has some good dystopian fiction too like The Timemachine.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily dystopian (I guess it's how you interpret it, it's sort of set now but in a parallel existence) but The Business by Iain Banks is jolly good, and quite creepy. The prologue alone was enough to really grip me, I love his writing style.

ReputationRep:
    I read The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman. Undoubtedly dystopian and not very sinister when it comes to the action but really sinister when you think about the concept and the main ideea.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! Some really interesting suggestions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I found Hugh Howey's Wool trilogy to be quite enjoyable.

I'm also currently reading Pure by Julianna Baggott. I'll let you know what I think of it once it's done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocfudge)
    Hey,

I've read Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale' and I enjoyed it.

Can anyone recommend me similar books/authors?

Preferably set in a dystopian world (fascist-y ) with a government/leader that is really evil and with a female protagonist preferably but if the book is good I don't mind a male protagonist.

Please don't suggest The Hunger Games, Divergent or 1984. All fine but I'd like to read something different.

Looking for Adult fiction.

Thanks
    Phillip K. **** - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Very disturbing, and raises lots of interesting questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Call)
    I found Hugh Howey's Wool trilogy to be quite enjoyable.

I'm also currently reading Pure by Julianna Baggott. I'll let you know what I think of it once it's done.
    Thanks! The plot of 'Wool' sounds intriguing. I'll add it to my list

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Phillip K. **** - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Very disturbing, and raises lots of interesting questions.

He's a Sci Fi writer I've seen on a lot on book shelves so I'll look forward to reading the title you suggested.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who likes THG or the Divergent trilogy, I would recommend reading the 'Slated' trilogy by Teri Terry, I read the first book this summer and I'm convinced they'll be the next big thing, they're great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Attwood and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celeste_bowden)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Attwood
    this, also The Road by Cormac Mccarthy is another obvious one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    I read The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman. Undoubtedly dystopian and not very sinister when it comes to the action but really sinister when you think about the concept and the main ideea.
    I loved Unwind; didn't realise there were more books! Will have to try and get them asap.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here read The Maze Runner?? If yes, are they any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.