The Student Room Group

How high up is Lahm in the greatest fullback list from the last 20 odd years?

Captained a Champions League and WC win now.

His intelligence on the pitch is second to none. Rarely ever wastes possession. Can play on either side, just an all round beast basically. Longevity. Nearly always turns up. Will be the third WC in a row where he'll be in the team of the tournament.

Maldini is the only one I;d definitely put above him. Cafu as well probably.

(he's one of my favourite players so bias may be present)

Seriously love Lahm.
Maldini played in 8 European cup finals, winning 5. Runner up and third in the World Cup, and unlucky to miss out on the 2006 win. Played through two different generations at a high level so I would say he is the best.
I'd only put Maldini above him. Lahm for his consistency and versatility (can play right or left) is there in second. Maldini has to be first though because he's defensively a monster. Shout-outs to Brehme and Bergomi too.
(edited 9 years ago)
but there is a tendency to rate players better after they retire so I do think he will be mentioned in the same breath as Maldini/Cafu in time
Reply 4
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I'd only put Maldini above him. Lahm for his consistency and versatility (can play right or left) is there in second. Maldini has to be first though because he's defensively a monster. Shout-outs to Brehme and Bergomi too.

He's so calm and composed on the ball, as much as I hate it when he gets played there he can pretty much effortlessly slot into centre mid for one of the best teams in the world and handle it completely fine.

iirc it was Guardiola that said he is the cleverest player he has worked with.

Original post by little_tom
but there is a tendency to rate players better after they retire so I do think he will be mentioned in the same breath as Maldini/Cafu in time

Definitely. He'll get his due. He's not as exciting as Cafu or as big a name as Maldini in football but he'll definitely be pushing them
(edited 9 years ago)
I would also like to throw Javier Zanetti into the mix. Astonishing Full Back
Original post by Deshi
He's so calm and composed on the ball, as much as I hate it when he gets played there he can pretty much effortlessly slot into centre mid for one of the best teams in the world and handle it completely fine.

iirc it was Guardiola that said he is the cleverest player he has worked with.

I think I like him most for his consistency. One of those guys that you'll always get at least an 8/10 performance from him at full back.
Reply 7
Much maligned by some, but both Gary Neville and Ashley Cole deserve shouts. Neither were out and out world's best, but both were fantastically consistent for big teams for a long time.
Original post by Drewski
Much maligned by some, but both Gary Neville and Ashley Cole deserve shouts. Neither were out and out world's best, but both were fantastically consistent for big teams for a long time.

Ashley probably was out and out the world's best for at least a short period of time, or in the top three/two.

I don't think Neville belongs in this conversation, as consistent and reliable as he was. He was much less naturally talented than anyone else in this discussion and was, quite frankly, never as good as them. An important member of many title winning sides though, of course. In terms of ability, Neville is Carragher to Ashley's Terry. Actually maybe that's a bit of a disservice to Neville, but you get my point.

Dani Alves definitely belongs in this conversation. For at least a year, early in his Barca career he had a legitimate claim to being one of the best players in the planet. There were hipster Guardian articles on him actually being the second best player, after Messi. Never the best pure defender but going forward perhaps as good as they've ever come, imo. His ball striking ability was better than most strikers and his combination play down the right with Messi was a huge factor in Barca's dominance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Terry McDermott
I don't think Neville belongs in this conversation, as consistent and reliable as he was. He was much less naturally talented than anyone else in this discussion and was, quite frankly, never as good as them. An important member of many title winning sides though, of course. In terms of ability, Neville is Carragher to Ashley's Terry. Actually maybe that's a bit of a disservice to Neville, but you get my point.

If anything, that's a reason why Neville should be among them, the work ethic he had was astonishing. And he was an exceptional crosser of the ball, but was never recognised for it because he spent so much time playing with Beckham.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
If anything, that's a reason why Neville should be among them, the work ethic he had was astonishing. And he was an exceptional crosser of the ball, but was never recognised for it because he spent so much time playing with Beckham.

Maldini, Lahm, Cafu, Zanetti, Cole.... Neville.

There's a huge gulf there.
Original post by Drewski

Not really. Work ethic doesn't qualify you for greatness. A great servant but not an all time great full back. Phil Neal of the modern era, maybe.
Reply 12
Got nothing on Peter Ramage
Original post by Yawn-er
Maldini, Lahm, Cafu, Zanetti, Cole.... Neville.

There's a huge gulf there.

dont forget carlos, I know despite his defending skiils arent matched with least half the cats you mentioned, cant deny how great he was, 2 world cups is some achievement
Reply 14
Original post by Deshi
Captained a Champions League and WC win now.

His intelligence on the pitch is second to none. Rarely ever wastes possession. Can play on either side, just an all round beast basically. Longevity. Nearly always turns up. Will be the third WC in a row where he'll be in the team of the tournament.

Maldini is the only one I;d definitely put above him. Cafu as well probably.

(he's one of my favourite players so bias may be present)

Seriously love Lahm.

Can I ask how many football matches you've been to see? Actually attended? Be honest.
Original post by Kenan and Kel

You spelt Jones wrong.
Reply 16
Maldini > Lahm. Such a great leader, too.
Reply 17
I don't think Neville ever played at a level some of the aforementioned players have, he was a very good fullback (consistent) but never in the upper echelons.

Original post by SirMike
Can I ask how many football matches you've been to see? Actually attended? Be honest.

~20 from League 1 to the Premier League. A few Conference games as well.

Quick Reply

Latest