Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone here follow a polyphasic sleep schedule? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you do, why? What sleep schedule do you follow? How did your adjustment period go?

Etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody does. It's impossible (although there are a few case studies where it's apparently been "achieved" but these are sketchy).

I advise taking a read of this page http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm.

But in short, the problem with polyphasic sleeping is that it doesn't work. The human body needs a major sleeping episode daily to function properly (short term adjustments for physical purposes are exceptions since the body can do work on little sleep for short periods of time). Trying to force your body (i.e. the "adjustment period") in to a silly sleeping pattern which does not respect the bodies requirements (i.e. 5 stages of sleep, with a sufficient amount of time in each) ends catastrophically, and you will feel extremely tired most of the time.

The article explains more. One of the myths is that "only stage 5 sleep (REM, dreaming) is needed to recharge your body so you no longer feel tired". The opposite is true; the earlier stages of sleep are responsible for the "recharging" part (i.e. waking up feeling refreshed). Stage 5 is for the more complex processes (memory rearrangement etc). You will die without stage 5, which is why when trying polyphasic sleeping the body will dive straight in to stage 5 very soon after falling asleep. People say they have "trained" their bodies to do this, but rather it is the bodies defense mechanism.

And if anyone says "but I knew a guy who did it successfully...".....no, you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    Nobody does. It's impossible (although there are a few case studies where it's apparently been "achieved" but these are sketchy).

I advise taking a read of this page http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm.

But in short, the problem with polyphasic sleeping is that it doesn't work. The human body needs a major sleeping episode daily to function properly (short term adjustments for physical purposes are exceptions since the body can do work on little sleep for short periods of time). Trying to force your body (i.e. the "adjustment period") in to a silly sleeping pattern which does not respect the bodies requirements (i.e. 5 stages of sleep, with a sufficient amount of time in each) ends catastrophically, and you will feel extremely tired most of the time.

The article explains more. One of the myths is that "only stage 5 sleep (REM, dreaming) is needed to recharge your body so you no longer feel tired". The opposite is true; the earlier stages of sleep are responsible for the "recharging" part (i.e. waking up feeling refreshed). Stage 5 is for the more complex processes (memory rearrangement etc). You will die without stage 5, which is why when trying polyphasic sleeping the body will dive straight in to stage 5 very soon after falling asleep. People say they have "trained" their bodies to do this, but rather it is the bodies defense mechanism.

And if anyone says "but I knew a guy who did it successfully...".....no, you didn't.
    You know polyphasic just means sleeping multiple times a day? Not necessarily sleeping really short periods. The Spanish and Latin-Americans do this all the time, they sleep for slightly shorter periods during the night and have a siesta during the day.

And yeah, it's not like there haven't been several documented cases of people adopting a polyphasic sleep schedule, like Thomas Edison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieTT)
    You know polyphasic just means sleeping multiple times a day? Not necessarily sleeping really short periods. The Spanish and Latin-Americans do this all the time, they sleep for slightly shorter periods during the night and have a siesta during the day.

And yeah, it's not like there haven't been several documented cases of people adopting a polyphasic sleep schedule, like Thomas Edison.
    Having a siesta is bi-phasic.

Thomas Edison was not a polyphasic sleeper. Again, http://www.supermemo.com/articles/po...0Alva%20Edison

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.