Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do classically trained vocalists make good pop singers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished watching Charlotte Church's latest BBC interview program on the iPlayer. Her performances were impressive to me, because admittedly I expected her vocal (live, at least) to sound a bit forced. Though with her time off it sounds like she's found an area between opera and pop that she's comfortable with.

But is she the norm? It makes sense to expect opera singers to have disastrous pop careers. For one, the respective music genres and practices are worlds apart. I cant think of anyone who's had success as a classical vocalist and replicated it through a pop career. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    To be a good pop singer you don't need a good voice. You must entertain people. This is all about. You must have a good producer and manager, not a good voice.

Classically trained vocalists are far ahead of any kind of pop singer but still the pop singers are the famous and rich ones. They are considered to be so unique and wonderful. We live in a shallow music world. Todays music world is not about skill, it is about entertainment. So, the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    Coldplay have managed to make it big, haven't they? You can too.

ReputationRep:
    I think I should've asked whether a classically trained voice lends itself well to popular music. I know that the entertainment industry has made efforts to go the other way, with shows like Popstar to Operastar, and the general prevalence of "classical pop" music a la Susan Boyle, Il Divo and Katharine Jenkins.

Still can't think of anyone other than Church at the mo!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.