Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is intelligence [REALLY] attractive? Watch

Announcements

I'm the type of girl that loves smart guys, and when I say smart guys I mean really really smart guys and that's the biggest thing for me. Most of my mates think I'm stupid, some of them say the biggest thing is looks/charm/personality but for me its definitely intelligence. Is this weird? Are there any other girls/boys like me?

A bit about myself without giving too much away:

I'd like to think of myself as being smart also and there are so many good looking guys that are just..not smart and to me I see them being boring, maybe this is me being shallow but everyone has their own boxes to tick right?

And by intelligence I don't mean like the geek that won't talk to anyone ever, I mean someone that has to ability to show off how smart he is in a conversation as well as getting top grades, there are some people that are hugely intelligent but crumble when it comes to a conversation, those aren't the guys I'm into.

ReputationRep:
    You've answered your own question. It is attractive when combined with good social skills and reasonable looks.

ReputationRep:
    I do too, i guess it's 'normal'

ReputationRep:
    Starting with:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm the type of girl that loves smart guys,
    and when I say smart guys I mean really really smart guys
    but for me its definitely intelligence.
    Finishing with:
    And by intelligence I don't mean like the geek that won't talk to anyone ever, I mean someone that has to ability to show off how smart he is in a conversation as well as getting top grades, there are some people that are hugely intelligent but crumble when it comes to a conversation, those aren't the guys I'm into.

I'd like to think of myself as being smart
    But you are not, clearly.
    Grades: no hint for being smart, it shows you are assiduous.
    And you are like all the other girls. You fall for the charming guy and you keep telling yourself he is smart, just because he is charming (on conversations).
    You say you like smart people but your last sentence explains everything.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think it's alright to like a guy just because he is intelligent. Good conversational skills also help with the "attraction factor" so even if the guy you are into isn't conventionally good-looking (as in he might not be a Brad Pitt but is more along the lines of let's say Collin Farrell) then you could find him more appealing than you would a hunk with nothing to intelligent to talk about, ever! I don't think intelligence alone could float my boat, even if he had A-grade conversational skills because as far as I'm concerned if I don't find him hot, then there ain't going to be any making out, which obvs. means there is no point in even talking bout a prospective relationship there! :lazy:

ReputationRep:
    Hint: REALLY smart people usually have poor social skills. Look at Sheldon from Big Bang Theory - caricature yes, but that's usually how they are.

I was at a Mensa gathering and it was just about the most awkward experience in my life, had it not been for this extremely charming (and very likely gay) man who kept the conversations going.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the type of girl that loves smart guys, and when I say smart guys I mean really really smart guys and that's the biggest thing for me. Most of my mates think I'm stupid, some of them say the biggest thing is looks/charm/personality but for me its definitely intelligence. Is this weird? Are there any other girls/boys like me?

I'd like to think of myself as being smart also and there are so many good looking guys that are just..not smart and to me I see them being boring, maybe this is me being shallow but everyone has their own boxes to tick right?

Intelligence is a very important factor to me when it comes to guys!! You are not the only one! I know this is true for some friend of mine too!

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is attractive

ReputationRep:
    Just a little question to everyone saying yes - what specifically do you find attractive about really intelligent people?

I can see why people wouldn't like to be with a complete idiot, but as long as they're reasonably intelligent I don't see what would be wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Just a little question to everyone saying yes - what specifically do you find attractive about really intelligent people?

I can see why people wouldn't like to be with a complete idiot, but as long as they're reasonably intelligent I don't see what would be wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For me it's languages. If they care about their future (have good plans!), that's a bonus. Anyone who didn't take a language for GCSE is completely unattractive and not that smart. Just my opinion, sorry if it offends people :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence needs to have a certain limit.. past that it becomes unattractive. Or so experience tells me.

Somehow, I do not know how or why, I got the reputation of being a genius at uni (I'm certainly not). I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago at a party after everyone's last exam. I'm not sure how we got onto the topic, but part of the conversation went like this:

Friend: When I found out we were in the same project group, I was actually a bit nervous of working with you

Me: I only met you in the first meeting.. how did you know who I was before that?

Friend: Everyone knew you, you were known as "That genius kid who asks questions the lecturers love but no one understands".

Me: ... (I literally didn't know what to say.. I don't remember asking many questions at all!)

Friend: So yeah, I was a bit intimidated.. I thought you were gonna make me feel stupid, or go way too fast for me, or something like that.

They hopefully found out that I'm not Sheldon pretty quickly . In any case, if it's possible to apparently intimidate people by being smart, then I think there must come a point where it's unattractive.

ReputationRep:

Yes. Absolutely.

(Original post by Arithmeticae)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For me and quite a few others I know, when it comes to relationships, there's a physical threshold. After that threshold, extra physical attractiveness is rather less important than increasing intelligence and personality - because that's what counts more when you're going to be spending considerable time with someone.

The more intelligent they are, the better and more interesting the time spent together tends to be, and hence the relationship tends to last longer.

ReputationRep:
    Being intelligent hasn't worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence on it's own is not attractive. I'm going to see A*A*A* on a CV somewhere and automatically swoon.

ReputationRep:
    People want different things; you're not 'weird' for having a type.

ReputationRep:
    l0l, this notion is nonsense, man. Girls want a dude who is reasonably smart. With how many girls who claim to want an 'intelligent' man could I converse about, say, Ramanujan's formulation of theorems or the fact that Bollobas has the cup from which Littlewood drank? ('Who's Littlewood!?')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    For me it's languages. If they care about their future (have good plans!), that's a bonus. Anyone who didn't take a language for GCSE is completely unattractive and not that smart. Just my opinion, sorry if it offends people :confused:
    I do hope you realise that taking a MFL at GCSE level is a total joke right? They are inexcusably easy. Take it from me, I have learnt multiple languages to a fluent standard and GCSEs don't even teach you to string a sentence together.

ReputationRep:
    You callng me dumb fam? :holmes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, intelligence is an attractive quality.

dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

on a sidenote: thanks for the replies!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.