The Student Room Group

Graphs

I don't understand these two questions really need help on them.

There's two different questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The other one starts from question 6 btw

Any help would be much appreciated
Original post by skyhigh12
I don't understand these two questions really need help on them.

There's two different questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The other one starts from question 6 btw

Any help would be much appreciated

What don't you understand.? Can you be more specific?
The first questions on the first attachment intersect at a point. Therefore you should know that you need to solve where they meet (as it's asking you) and therefore you equate the equations and factorise and solve for x.
You equate the equations given because the y coordinates are the same at the point of intersection. You therefore find a term for y which is what you are given (in terms of x in a quadratic)- and therefore you solve for x.

In the second attachment you are given a graph. The first question asks to find the roots of the equation by inspection. Roots are where the graph intersects the x-axis (i.e when y=0). Therefore you can see on the graph where they are. You are also asked to solve the given equations. You should draw the graphs (possibly tables is needed?)and you find where they intersect (meet) by looking at the graph. You can solve it simultaneously if it is asking for coordinates, however you may only get cao.

It seems as if you have a rather large lack of mathematical knowledge. Maybe you should use any maths resource you have (ex mymaths, mathswatchevle) or buy/ ask from the school a revision book for the exam board/ specification you are going to do.
Have a good one. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending