Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a good idea to eat before running? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am trying to lose weight. Before I went out running today, I ate 2 peaches before I ran,so I had some energy before I ran. Near the end, I ate a banana and ran again. Is this a good idea as I am trying to lose weight, and so eating fruit adds calories, but on the other hand, gives me more energy to run?

Any advice is helpful! Thanks! =)

ReputationRep:
    Need to wait a bit of time for the food to digest first

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about the weight loss aspect, but I try to avoid eating before I run. That's just because it makes me feel sick tbh, so I always run on a (relatively) empty stomach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Need to wait a bit of time for the food to digest first
    I was hoping that the food digest halfway through I run, so I get an energy boost near the middle of my running session compared to the start, I was to wait for the food to digest before I ran.

But I an not sure if eating is a good way to burn calories.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea whether this will benefit you energy wise as it takes time for food to digest and for energy to be absorbed and everyone's metabolism is different, however I never eat or drink within an hour of running or else I get terrible stitches.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with a bit of energy before a run, as long as you don't go running straight after I'd think you're fine. Just don't eat anything heavy otherwise it wouldn't be a particularly nice run ahaha.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel bloated or uncomfortable, and as long as it's a really tiny meal, then it's fine. Running on an empty stomach is optimal but not absolutely necessary.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a good idea to eat before going for a run. The food can make you feel bloated, and eventually might lead to feeling sick while working out.

ReputationRep:
    I did not eat before I ran today, and it was much better. I ran just over 8km (roughly 8.2km) is this a good distance?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is a good idea to eat. You will no doubt burn more calories that you consume during that period, but you still need energy to actually perform the exercise properly. Eating will help regulate your blood sugar levels, you don't want them to be too low whilst exercising.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. And although you're trying to lose weight, it's still important to eat healthily so eating fruit is good. Eating a cake right before running on the other hand is probably a little pointless.

ReputationRep:
    When you use your muscles you need oxygen, so your body will redirect oxygenated blood from other organs to compensate. If you redirect blood from your stomach while it's full it can lead to cramps.

This is why you don't lift weights on a full stomach. You need that extra blood and you don't want to spend it digesting food

Run in a fasted, but not glycogen depleted state.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't matter when you eat meal timing is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss what matters is overall calorie deficit

ReputationRep:
    I eat 1.30-2 hours before working out/running.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are running a half marathon or more, it's probably not really necessary to get an energy boost half way. I even go 14k without water when it's not too hot.

I just eat about 1 hour before running, and drink about 600ml of water right before.

Also, digestion takes energy as well.

In the end, I don't think it really matters, though, as long as the meal doesn't make you sick. I would just do what feels right for you.

ReputationRep:
    No, it is not recommended. At least you have to wait for 2 hours to perform physical activities after having meal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.