Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Hey guys, I am thinking of studying Law at UEA. As a international student I don't know too much about the university so I was wondering if you could answer my questions. Thank you.

How is the weather?
    How is the accommodation? Do I stay at the same place for my whole degree? I saw a few videos on the accommodation and it looked mediocre.
    Are there plenty of great places to study? How is the library? Is it 24/7? I think studying on residence would be difficult with all the noise.
    How far is the campus from town?
    What do people generally do in their leisure time here?
    How is the law program? For those in it do you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA7-)

Hey guys, I am thinking of studying Law at UEA. As a international student I don't know too much about the university so I was wondering if you could answer my questions. Thank you.

How is the weather?
    How is the accommodation? Do I stay at the same place for my whole degree? I saw a few videos on the accommodation and it looked mediocre.
    Are there plenty of great places to study? How is the library? Is it 24/7? I think studying on residence would be difficult with all the noise.
    1) The weather- as with anywhere in the UK it varies massively, in the three years of my undergraduate degree its done everything from rain, to be very warm to snow.
    2) I found it all very modern and a good size (I was in campus ensuite). Village ensuite is modern as well but the rooms are smaller. Ziggurats don't look as nice from the outside but inside they are fine. As an international student you are able to apply for halls again but you'd be moved to a different room and you'd most likely to be put with first years again. Most students move out after first year into private housing,
    3) Each faculty has its own computer cluster- I've heard from a friend doing law that its quiet, as well as the library, and I've seen people working in the cafes as well. The library is 24/7 and fairly well stocked, yes they don't have enough copies of each book for everyone but you can't have hundreds of copies of the same book, if you plan things in advance you'll be fine. They have different zones for group work, silent work and quiet work. It depends on your flat and your neighbours and whether you need complete silence or not, I had no problem working in halls but I couldn't work in complete silence.
    4) Campus is 3 miles from town, about 15-20 mins on the bus, a bus pass is roughly £200 for the year
    5) Clubbing, shopping, sports, society socials, cinema, sleeping!, watching tv/films, going to gigs on campus- think that covers most bases
    6) Can't answer I'm afraid as I didn't do law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA7-)

How is the weather?
    Hi

The weather like jelly1000 said above is pretty much the same as everywhere else in England though Norwich is pretty cold in Winter as it's near the coast and usually have thick snow (though this winter we didn't have any at all!) And in Summer Norwich is the warmest place in the UK, usually a degree or two warmer than London. On the whole though the England has a temperate climate so it's very mild throughout the year but the weather is very unpredictable changing totally from day to day or even within one day. Generally though I'd say the weather is cloudy with or without rain and the days in between are hot, windy, rainy etc etc etc.

I have never lived in uni accommodation, I went to do my second degree at the age of 24 so didn't want to live in halls again but everyone on my course is happy with their accommodation and from what I've seen it's the same or better than other uni halls I've seen. The only complaint I've heard is that the Ziggurats can get extremely hot in summer because they're made of concrete so they heat up very quickly and stay hot and with huge windows it becomes like a greenhouse but everyone still seems pretty happy to live there, it's very sociable and has an amazing view. I guess with a decent fan a person wouldn't have the heat problem. I think it might also depends on the floor a student's on. But on the whole everyone seems to like their accommodation, nearly all the the buildings look new too, they look stunning compared to most uni accommodation I've seen (and I've visited about 12 unis). People stay in uni accommodation for one year then get a house off campus, the only exception is international students, they can stay on campus longer as I know a few 2nd and 3rd years still living on campus. International students that are doing Master's and PhDs also often live on campus.

The library is open 24 hours, which is awesome at my last uni it wasn't. My uni house has been pretty quiet so I tend to study at home but I have studied in the library and it's alright really. The only thing is at busy times it's hard very to get a computer but if you have a laptop it's a lot easier to find space. Also, even when the library has no computers the arts building, which is close to the library always has lots of free computers but no-one remembers about the computers in there! The silent study floors are very strict so it's always totally silent, which is great if you like that environment. I can't study in silence so I go to the group IT rooms and listen to relaxation music through my headphones, which are in-ear ones so block out all external sound, works out very well! The library has everything you need. It has day lockers too that you can use on a daily basis. I think you put in 50p and you get it back when you're finished. That are pretty big lockers, can fit a lot of books.

I tend to see people studying everywhere, at the library, in the hive, outside, then different schools tend to have space to study space. I've never yet heard of anyone complaining about not finding somewhere convenient or quiet to study even the students that live on campus that share with between 6 to 10 people. I can study almost anywhere with my headphones because relaxation music helps me to concentrate and like I said my headphones block out external sound.

A good place that is nearly always empty or at least very quiet with lots of space is the MultiFaith Centre common room. Anyone can go in to relax, study etc, you don't have to be religious to go there and they have a kitchen so there's a microwave, sink etc that you can use whenever you like.

Campus is about a 20 minute bus ride from the UEA and cycling is probably about the same. Most students cycle to and from uni or around Norwich, there are lots of cycle lanes and bike racks. Walking to the city centre is about an hour walk from campus.

There are tonnes of societies to join, there's always something to join or to get involved with. There is a lot to do outside of uni too if you know where to look. I'm in a Japanese drumming group in the city centre.

Norwich is a really awesome, beautiful, quirky and friendly place. I'd recommend coming here to everyone, the city and university has everything you could want!

Unfortunately I don't know any law students here but I'm sure you need to find out more you can look here and find more information

UEA Law Society Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/uealaw

UEA law school Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lawuea?fref=ts

UEA Law society events group Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/uealawsoc/?fref=ts

Good luck in making your decision Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

ps. Whereabouts in Canada are you from? I've wanted to visit since forever and possibly live there one day (somewhere in Ontario, maybe Ottawa).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    Hi

The weather like jelly1000 said above is pretty much the same as everywhere else in England though Norwich is pretty cold in Winter as it's near the coast and usually have thick snow (though this winter we didn't have any at all!) And in Summer Norwich is the warmest place in the UK, usually a degree or two warmer than London. On the whole though the England has a temperate climate so it's very mild throughout the year but the weather is very unpredictable changing totally from day to day or even within one day. Generally though I'd say the weather is cloudy with or without rain and the days in between are hot, windy, rainy etc etc etc.

I have never lived in uni accommodation, I went to do my second degree at the age of 24 so didn't want to live in halls again but everyone on my course is happy with their accommodation and from what I've seen it's the same or better than other uni halls I've seen. The only complaint I've heard is that the Ziggurats can get extremely hot in summer because they're made of concrete so they heat up very quickly and stay hot and with huge windows it becomes like a greenhouse but everyone still seems pretty happy to live there, it's very sociable and has an amazing view. I guess with a decent fan a person wouldn't have the heat problem. I think it might also depends on the floor a student's on. But on the whole everyone seems to like their accommodation, nearly all the the buildings look new too, they look stunning compared to most uni accommodation I've seen (and I've visited about 12 unis). People stay in uni accommodation for one year then get a house off campus, the only exception is international students, they can stay on campus longer as I know a few 2nd and 3rd years still living on campus. International students that are doing Master's and PhDs also often live on campus.

The library is open 24 hours, which is awesome at my last uni it wasn't. My uni house has been pretty quiet so I tend to study at home but I have studied in the library and it's alright really. The only thing is at busy times it's hard very to get a computer but if you have a laptop it's a lot easier to find space. Also, even when the library has no computers the arts building, which is close to the library always has lots of free computers but no-one remembers about the computers in there! The silent study floors are very strict so it's always totally silent, which is great if you like that environment. I can't study in silence so I go to the group IT rooms and listen to relaxation music through my headphones, which are in-ear ones so block out all external sound, works out very well! The library has everything you need. It has day lockers too that you can use on a daily basis. I think you put in 50p and you get it back when you're finished. That are pretty big lockers, can fit a lot of books.

I tend to see people studying everywhere, at the library, in the hive, outside, then different schools tend to have space to study space. I've never yet heard of anyone complaining about not finding somewhere convenient or quiet to study even the students that live on campus that share with between 6 to 10 people. I can study almost anywhere with my headphones because relaxation music helps me to concentrate and like I said my headphones block out external sound.

A good place that is nearly always empty or at least very quiet with lots of space is the MultiFaith Centre common room. Anyone can go in to relax, study etc, you don't have to be religious to go there and they have a kitchen so there's a microwave, sink etc that you can use whenever you like.

Campus is about a 20 minute bus ride from the UEA and cycling is probably about the same. Most students cycle to and from uni or around Norwich, there are lots of cycle lanes and bike racks. Walking to the city centre is about an hour walk from campus.

There are tonnes of societies to join, there's always something to join or to get involved with. There is a lot to do outside of uni too if you know where to look. I'm in a Japanese drumming group in the city centre.

Norwich is a really awesome, beautiful, quirky and friendly place. I'd recommend coming here to everyone, the city and university has everything you could want!

Unfortunately I don't know any law students here but I'm sure you need to find out more you can look here and find more information

UEA Law Society Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/uealaw

UEA law school Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lawuea?fref=ts

UEA Law society events group Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/uealawsoc/?fref=ts

Good luck in making your decision Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

ps. Whereabouts in Canada are you from? I've wanted to visit since forever and possibly live there one day (somewhere in Ontario, maybe Ottawa).
    Thanks for the replies. Both of you were very helpful. I ended up choosing UEA in the end.

I'm from Calgary. Canada is a great place. Not a social as England (in terms of going out) but there is plenty to do. Ottawa is a nice city, but if you have to pick anywhere to live in Canada I'd recommend BC. Victoria and Vancouver are beautiful. Vancouver is pretty expensive to live in though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.