Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else interested in applying to UCL's linguistics course? Any one of you applying as a mature student, perchance?

I'm applying as a mature student (I will be 22 when I start my course, practically a fossil) and opting for 2015 entry. I've got a million ideas for my personal statement swimming around my head and I'm not sure where to start!

I'm also looking at UCL, SOAS and maybe a few more universities in London.

Anyone else in the same boat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miff-meista)
    Is anyone else interested in applying to UCL's linguistics course? Any one of you applying as a mature student, perchance?

I'm applying as a mature student (I will be 22 when I start my course, practically a fossil) and opting for 2015 entry. I've got a million ideas for my personal statement swimming around my head and I'm not sure where to start!

Lol, most people wouldn't call a 22 year old a mature student, after all, the majority of students at QM are 20 or older. For your personal statement I would include things such as why the course appeals to you, what you hope to gain from it, what your future plans are and what you think you can bring to the industry.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a postgraduate student. I also applied for MA Linguistics at UCL and SOAS, but haven't heard from them yet. I might accept the offer from QMUL.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treee)
    I'm a postgraduate student. I also applied for MA Linguistics at UCL and SOAS, but haven't heard from them yet. I might accept the offer from QMUL.

Good luck!
    I've also applied for MA Linguistics at UCL and SOAS, but I'm having a hard time at the moment choosing a) which one to accept, and b) whether to commute from outside London or to look for a part-time job and work whilst I study.

Have you decided on a course yet? If so, what swayed it for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewarkWilder)
    I've also applied for MA Linguistics at UCL and SOAS, but I'm having a hard time at the moment choosing a) which one to accept, and b) whether to commute from outside London or to look for a part-time job and work whilst I study.

UCL said they will get back to me with a final decision this week, but I highly doubt I'm going there because it's CRAZY expensive, especially since I'm an international student, and also because UCL is good in neurolinguistics, but not famous for sociolinguistics. It's a really tough decision to make if I actually get an offer because it's a really good school, but I want to do sociolinguistics. Besides, they're taking their time and I need to apply for a student visa ASAP. My other options are King's College London and QMUL (declined Birkbeck, Goldsmiths and Leicester). Although King's is 40th on the Guardian league table for 2015, which is very discouraging, it is more reputable and prestigious than QMUL, and the MA Language and Cultural Diversity course (the one I applied for at King's) seems like a course that I'd really enjoy studying, especially since it focuses on sociocultural linguistics. So I think I will most probably go to King's.

I guess you have to ask yourself what matters to you more. Is it overall student experience, location, ranking, reputation, the course itself?

When you say you will commute from outside London, do you mean Central London? I also considered working part-time, but I think an MA course is going to be a full-time job in itself. I've been told that it's better to stay at a place that's close to your university, because if you're far away, you might end up paying even more for transportation.

I got a place at Goodenough. It's a very central place, but pretty expensive. I don't know whether I should accept the offer or look for a cheaper place.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miff-meista)

For undergrad, all three of them are good choices. And no need to worry about being a mature student - you're still super young! Plus, it's good to have more life experience. :P

(Original post by NewarkWilder)

Done my MA a long time ago... I think Treee is right, you need to decide what your interest is. To be fair, the two universities are doing quite different things research-wise, so maybe take that into consideration?
    Masters is very time-consuming and I wouldn't advise having a long-term part-time job... but London is super expensive...

(Original post by Treee)
    UCL said they will get back to me with a final decision this week, but I highly doubt I'm going there because it's CRAZY expensive, especially since I'm an international student, and also because UCL is good in neurolinguistics, but not famous for sociolinguistics. It's a really tough decision to make if I actually get an offer because it's a really good school, but I want to do sociolinguistics. Besides, they're taking their time and I need to apply for a student visa ASAP. My other options are King's College London and QMUL (declined Birkbeck, Goldsmiths and Leicester). Although King's is 40th on the Guardian league table for 2015, which is very discouraging, it is more reputable and prestigious than QMUL, and the MA Language and Cultural Diversity course (the one I applied for at King's) seems like a course that I'd really enjoy studying, especially since it focuses on sociocultural linguistics. So I think I will most probably go to King's.

I guess you have to ask yourself what matters to you more. Is it overall student experience, location, ranking, reputation, the course itself?

When you say you will commute from outside London, do you mean Central London? I also considered working part-time, but I think an MA course is going to be a full-time job in itself. I've been told that it's better to stay at a place that's close to your university, because if you're far away, you might end up paying even more for transportation.

I got a place at Goodenough. It's a very central place, but pretty expensive. I don't know whether I should accept the offer or look for a cheaper place.

Good luck!
    UCL is exceptionally bad in admin as we all know hahah
    And yes, if you want to do socio stuff, better ignore UCL altogether since they don't quite touch on sociolinguistics at MA level - or at least what I call classic sociolinguistics i.e. variation...
    Not sure about BBK and Leicester, GS is decent in sociocultural linguistics so is QM and KCL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.