Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I need some urgent help with a massive life choice I have to make!!

so let me start by briefly explaining my current situation. Im 22 years old, I work for a well know company in the uk and I'm on a pretty poor wage of roughly 14 thousand per year, but the job I do should be getting paid roughly 32k per year.

i recently got accepted into uni which I'm excited about and I start in September this year. I informed my boss at work who was gutted to have me leave. Then today I return to work and I've been informed if I stay they will up my wage to 32 thousand per year. All I need to do is apply for the new job advertised which is very similar to mine (they basically created a dud job for me to apply for).

what should I do????

ive always wanted to go to uni and I'm now stuck between mega money to what I'm use to and a student life!!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your situation and what you want out of life.

Do you want to settle down, build your savings, build a career? Or do you want to build your knowledge, study whatever it is you've applied for, have opportunities that you rarely get anywhere else? (Studying abroad, for example.)

Personally, money comes and goes, but education (as long as you want to be there and make the effort) is for life.

ReputationRep:
    I advise working out how much money you will earn after you have been to uni in your new career if it's less then perhaps taking the £2K a month job is better although it seems very odd that they didn't just increase your wage so you need to be sure you will actually get the job if you re-apply! However, most importantly, asides from money because that doesn't really make people happy, what do you want to do with your life? what will make you happy? and if you're uni course is going to open up a path that will make you happier and allow you to follow what you're truly passionate about then do that!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The job itself falls into the sector of what I'll be studying, I worked my way up through the company and originally got here as a seconded team member on a months long contract and they ended up keeping me permenant but on a low wage. When I handed my notice that's when I was informed about the wage increase.

I was thinking maybe contacting the uni and seeing if I can change to next year then working on this wage for 1 year and saving up?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlis)
    I was thinking maybe contacting the uni and seeing if I can change to next year then working on this wage for 1 year and saving up?

What do you think?
    It's worth checking out, if you're not overly desperate to start university this year. The surplus cash would come in handy.

I might not be so open about it with the company though, some employers can kick up a stink. (Unless yours can be trusted not to.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlis)
    When I handed my notice that's when I was informed about the wage increase.
    I would be very wary of this situation - and I speak with 20+ years of working experience of both global and national sized companies.

I was in a similar situation once, albeit not involving university. I handed in my resignation to move to another company, and on what was due to be my last day, my line manager told me that my job was due to be regraded - if I stayed I'd get a significant pay rise. I stayed. The regrading was "postponed" for a year and when it did eventually happen, the pay scales were reorganised at the same time and the pay rise was much smaller than the wage I would have earned in the other job. No manager can make you promises about what might happen in the future.

I like the idea of seeing if you can defer uni for a year. Don't under any circumstances tell your employer you've done that - just make it look like you've decided to stay and then wait to see what happens. If the new job/pay rise does happen, then as you say, it gives you the opportunity to save up some money which will make uni life easier if you still decide to go in 2015. Once you're doing it, you may decide that the new job is the better option, at which point you can turn down the uni place.

Otherwise, bear in mind that you're being asked to apply for a job within your own company. The recruitment process means that you're in no way guaranteed to get it. A deferred uni place would be a very useful thing to have in your back pocket to avoid getting trapped in your current job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.