The Student Room Group

Ib subjects require for stanford medical school

Hey every one,
This year im participating in the 2year ib diploma in my college. I have chosen my subjects but still im not sure about them because im not a native english speaker and i heard about math hl and its difficulty so heres my subjects and i really need your help.
Math hl
Biology hl
Chemistry hl
Persian sl
English a1 sl
Buisness sl
Italian sl
Isnt my 3 hl too hard?
If it is shall i pick others much easier?
Im not sure about buisness what should i pick instead that will be easier and usefull?
Please HELP ME!!!!!!
Reply 1
Lol. You clearly don't know anything about the US or Stanford. Stanford Medical School is graduate only. So forget about the US and stick to a university you are eligible for.
You take 6 IB subjects, not 7.
Actually we can take 7th subject but its score is not consider in ib total score and why not, thats right i dont know any thing about stanford, if you know please share your information.
i wouldnt participate in this student room if i had information.
by the way i know i should have a master in biology or related fields and then enter to university buts thats what i know so plz S.O.S
Reply 4
All US schools are postgraduate, so you'd have to get a degree first to go to Stanford (+ a billion other things)
Original post by Herisson
All US schools are postgraduate, so you'd have to get a degree first to go to Stanford (+ a billion other things)

No, there is undegraduate admission for US schools ofc.

Don't you enter undeclared and then declare your major in the third year. Also for medicine and law you have to do an undergrad degree in a subject offered at us schools(which afaik isn't medicine or law) and then do a postgraduate in that degree,
Reply 6
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
No, there is undegraduate admission for US schools ofc.

Don't you enter undeclared and then declare your major in the third year. Also for medicine and law you have to do an undergrad degree in a subject offered at us schools(which afaik isn't medicine or law) and then do a postgraduate in that degree,

I mean for Medical school of course.
Original post by Herisson
I mean for Medical school of course.

Right yeah, yeah.
Reply 8
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Right yeah, yeah.

Totally:colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by Ronakamirsardari
Hey every one,
This year im participating in the 2year ib diploma in my college. I have chosen my subjects but still im not sure about them because im not a native english speaker and i heard about math hl and its difficulty so heres my subjects and i really need your help.
Math hl
Biology hl
Chemistry hl
Persian sl
English a1 sl
Buisness sl
Italian sl
Isnt my 3 hl too hard?
If it is shall i pick others much easier?
Im not sure about buisness what should i pick instead that will be easier and usefull?
Please HELP ME!!!!!!

This is a UK forum and barely anyone will have any idea about studying in the US. You may want to try a US-based forum. As someone has already said, Medicine is something you study after pre-med in the US. So either look into how you get onto that programme somewhere in the US, and how you then progress to med school and beyond (I have seen talk of it being incredibly difficult for internationals to a) get into med school and b) have any kind of decent chance of a desirable job afterwards if they're even allowed to stay in the US to work) or look where else you could study Medicine.

You need to see which subjects are required to get you where you want to go. Do not just pick 'easy' subjects if it's going to harm your chances. If the qualification is too difficult because your English is not up to scratch, do something else. I seriously doubt any allowances are made for choosing to do the English language IB when you're not good enough at English to do well in it. That being said, your English will improve rapidly when being taught in the language and reading textbooks and studying various subjects in the language.
Original post by Ronove
This is a UK forum and barely anyone will have any idea about studying in the US. You may want to try a US-based forum. As someone has already said, Medicine is something you study after pre-med in the US. So either look into how you get onto that programme somewhere in the US, and how you then progress to med school and beyond (I have seen talk of it being incredibly difficult for internationals to a) get into med school and b) have any kind of decent chance of a desirable job afterwards if they're even allowed to stay in the US to work) or look where else you could study Medicine.

You need to see which subjects are required to get you where you want to go. Do not just pick 'easy' subjects if it's going to harm your chances. If the qualification is too difficult because your English is not up to scratch, do something else. I seriously doubt any allowances are made for choosing to do the English language IB when you're not good enough at English to do well in it. That being said, your English will improve rapidly when being taught in the language and reading textbooks and studying various subjects in the language.

A1 English - unless it has changed in the last year or two - is the test for a native speaker of the language. i.e. If you were to take the I.B. in England, you would take the A1 exam (I did this myself).

If your 1st language is not English, you can take English B instead. However, if you plan on studying medicine in English, most (if not all?) medical schools in the U.K would want you to take the 'native' version, or they may be very concerned why you are taking the equivalent of 'learning a new language at GCSE/A level standard'.

I.B overall is very stringent, in particular more-so in terms of re-sits - in my honest opinion.

Appreciate that doesn't answer the original question very well, just throwing it out there :smile:

P.S. There's absolutely no reason to 7 subjects whatsoever, and will seriously harm your chances if one of your subjects receives a low score. And with maths HL, ambitious is a very optimistic word for that scenario.

P.S.S You cannot study 3 languages at all in the I.B. You must study your native language and only one other language. So either English or your other non-native language must be dropped in terms of being able to let it ever count for anything, unless you plan on doing it for 'fun'. You certainly wouldn't get any marks for it and I doubt they would let you even sit the test for a 7th subject.

Here's the only other TSR thread mentioning 7 subjects I could:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1550355
The overwhelming advice in that thread is to drop one of the subjects.

Far more common (but still rare) is to take 4 higher level subjects, and 2 standard level subjects. But again, you are only disadvantaging yourself if you do not achieve the maximum 45 points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Lionheartat20
A1 English - unless it has changed in the last year or two - is the test for a native speaker of the language. i.e. If you were to take the I.B. in England, you would take the A1 exam (I did this myself).

If your 1st language is not English, you can take English B instead. However, if you plan on studying medicine in English, most (if not all?) medical schools in the U.K would want you to take the 'native' version, or they may be very concerned why you are taking the equivalent of 'learning a new language at GCSE/A level standard'.

I.B overall is very stringent, in particular more-so in terms of re-sits - in my honest opinion.

Appreciate that doesn't answer the original question very well, just throwing it out there :smile:

P.S. There's absolutely no reason to 7 subjects whatsoever, and will seriously harm your chances if one of your subjects receives a low score. And with maths HL, ambitious is a very optimistic word for that scenario.

P.S.S You cannot study 3 languages at all in the I.B. You must study your native language and only one other language. So either English or your other non-native language must be dropped in terms of being able to let it ever count for anything, unless you plan on doing it for 'fun'. You certainly wouldn't get any marks for it and I doubt they would let you even sit the test for a 7th subject.

Here's the only other TSR thread mentioning 7 subjects I could:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1550355
The overwhelming advice in that thread is to drop one of the subjects.

Far more common (but still rare) is to take 4 higher level subjects, and 2 standard level subjects. But again, you are only disadvantaging yourself if you do not achieve the maximum 45 points.

You might want to actually quote the thread starter rather than me.
Original post by Ronove
You might want to actually quote the thread starter rather than me.

Apologises :biggrin: I initially quoted you due to your English I.B. reference before adding a hell of a lot more information which is't very relevant to you :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by Lionheartat20
Apologises :biggrin: I initially quoted you due to your English I.B. reference before adding a hell of a lot more information which is't very relevant to you :colondollar:

I was actually referring to him/her doing the entire IB in English, not the A1 English (though obviously that is a relevant point that I had no idea about).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending