Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Life without parole for teenagers Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently saw on the web some Cases in the USA where kids as young as 13 have been sentenced to life without parole while some of these kids have committed murder others have just been lookouts.

Even in the UK we don't give that kind of sentence to children under 18 while I agree they do need a prison sentence they are children and they haven't even had a chance at life their brains are not yet fully formed. Surly a sentience like 20 years is more humane than life.

My question is how long should a child under the age of 18 get and is being a lookout for a drug deal that went bad and ended in a murder (the child was 16 and not the triggerman)worth life in prison or should a shorter sentence be handed out?

Life sentence. Age is no excuse. I daresay most adult criminals have yet to have their brains fully formed.

The Bulger killers should have been given life without parole, for a start.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      Life sentence. Age is no excuse. I daresay most adult criminals have yet to have their brains fully formed.

The Bulger killers should have been given life without parole, for a start.
      what about those convicted of felony murders they get life and they might not have been there at the time or even known a murder was planned or being committed it's guilt by association just because they knew the person and lived in the house.

ReputationRep:
      in the US and A they have proper sentences & proper jails, not the touchy-feely snooker clubs we have in this country.

(Original post by jonathanemptage)
        what about those convicted of felony murders they get life and they might not have been there at the time or even known a murder was planned or being committed it's guilt by association just because they knew the person and lived in the house.
        Only if they can prove that they were associated in a negative way. I don't mean someone being convicted becausr they spoke to the person in the local butcher's a few times. That's definitely over the top. They must have played a part in the murder itself. And I would say a lookout is just as integral to a successful murder as the person doing the killing.

ReputationRep:
        read this page if you want to under stand fully what I'm talking about when I say felony murder

http://america.aljazeera.com/feature...offenders.html

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by the bear)
        in the US and A they have proper sentences & proper jails, not the touchy-feely snooker clubs we have in this country.
        I'm not saying it should be easy but life at 16 for beeing a look out for a drug deal which shouldn't have ended in murder seems a bit extreme to me

ReputationRep:
        Perhaps I'm soft but unless it is clear that they have severe mental issues, I don't think that juveniles should be given life sentences though in very serious cases they might be kept under observation permanently.

Regarding the killers of Jamie Bulger, while it does appear that Jon Venables is still a nasty piece of work, Robert Thompson seems to have kept his head down.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Genocidal)
        Only if they can prove that they were associated in a negative way. I don't mean someone being convicted becausr they spoke to the person in the local butcher's a few times. That's definitely over the top. They must have played a part in the murder itself. And I would say a lookout is just as integral to a successful murder as the person doing the killing.
        True but it was intended to just be a drug deal hardly crime of the century if they said keep a lookout were going to kill this guy I doubt he would have done it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.