Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I got an offer to study at UCL, starting in September 2014, for classical archaeology and classical civilizations. This is, as you can imagine, my firm choice.

Since I took the French baccalaureate, my conditions of entry were 14 overall with 13 in English.

My results were 16 overall with 20 in English. I sent in my results about a month ago, and UCL confirmed and verified them.

However, my place still hasn't been confirmed. On the Student Portal, I get the message "We'll let you know when we take our final decision". I don't understand that, though. I thought if I met the conditions of entry on my firm choice, that was it, I was in. What's all this business of a "final decision"?

I thought that maybe because it's a very specific course, that not many people applied to it, so there might not be enough people for the course. But I've looked that up and it's actually quite popular.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoicInAfrica)
    Heya,

I got an offer to study at UCL, starting in September 2014, for classical archaeology and classical civilizations. This is, as you can imagine, my firm choice.

Since I took the French baccalaureate, my conditions of entry were 14 overall with 13 in English.

My results were 16 overall with 20 in English. I sent in my results about a month ago, and UCL confirmed and verified them.

However, my place still hasn't been confirmed. On the Student Portal, I get the message "We'll let you know when we take our final decision". I don't understand that, though. I thought if I met the conditions of entry on my firm choice, that was it, I was in. What's all this business of a "final decision"?

I thought that maybe because it's a very specific course, that not many people applied to it, so there might not be enough people for the course. But I've looked that up and it's actually quite popular.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?
    It's just a standard holding response whilst they find the time to update things. If you have met the conditions and they have acknowledged receipt of your results, it's only a matter of the clerical admin being done, and they tend to do these things in their own time when it's not a standard set of qualifications they are dealing with. You have no need to worry, but you could call them if you are anxious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    It's just a standard holding response whilst they find the time to update things. If you have met the conditions and they have acknowledged receipt of your results, it's only a matter of the clerical admin being done, and they tend to do these things in their own time when it's not a standard set of qualifications they are dealing with. You have no need to worry, but you could call them if you are anxious.
    That's a big relief!

I realized that since my qualifications weren't A Level/British standard, that they might take a bit longer to do things, but I figured after a month, something should've happened.

I'm still slightly worried, though. I mean, I've been sending them e-mails, they've been replying, they acknowledged I didn't need a Tier 4 Visa for studying, etc. They've also been sending out the accommodation notices for people who had unconditional offers. I'm sure they're busy but how much time could it take for them to confirm my place?

In any case, I'll try not to worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    That's a big relief!

I realized that since my qualifications weren't A Level/British standard, that they might take a bit longer to do things, but I figured after a month, something should've happened.

I'm still slightly worried, though. I mean, I've been sending them e-mails, they've been replying, they acknowledged I didn't need a Tier 4 Visa for studying, etc. They've also been sending out the accommodation notices for people who had unconditional offers. I'm sure they're busy but how much time could it take for them to confirm my place?

In any case, I'll try not to worry too much.
    They do things in batches, so updating Ucas is probably on somebody's To Do list, and it'll not be the same person who's sending out the other stuff. It'll only be down to a lack of joined up thinking if you've met the offer, but you could nudge them if it makes you feel less anxious.

ReputationRep:
    Update: I e-mailed them, as you suggested. They really are bloody useless. I mean, really, how slow are they? The reason they hadn't confirmed my place yet was because I hadn't send them a translated copy of my results.

I had no idea I needed to send a translated copy. I thought a scanned copy of the original in French would be sufficient. Apparently not, and no one thought it would be a good idea to tell me until now. It's been over a month since I sent them the results, and they've only now told me "Actually, you need to have them translated into English".

Really, guys? That's great.

ReputationRep:
    Update: I e-mailed them, as you suggested. They really are bloody useless. I mean, really, how slow are they? The reason they hadn't confirmed my place yet was because I hadn't send them a translated copy of my results.

I had no idea I needed to send a translated copy. I thought a scanned copy of the original in French would be sufficient. Apparently not, and no one thought it would be a good idea to tell me until now. It's been over a month since I sent them the results, and they've only now told me "Actually, you need to have them translated into English".

Really, guys? That's great.
    I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. At least now you know and can get on with sending them with what they need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. At least now you know and can get on with sending them with what they need.
    It's surprisingly good timing, though. As I'm in France at the moment, but my parents are coming from Africa tomorrow. Which means, thankfully, my mother can bring the original copy of my results, in French, and I can have them translated ASAP and send them off to UCL.

It's not really so much a bad experience as a lack of efficiency on their part. Could've saved time, money, and agro had they been a bit more efficient.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.