Nanthini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is it true that there is a low demand for pharmacists these days? Can you possibly end up being jobless after graduating?
username1465903
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Theres not a low demand, theres just a very high supply. And yes, its possible.
FallenPetal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yep. In the past 10 years, I would say Pharmacy has done a U-turn in terms of job prospects - it's gone from fantastic to quite poor, especially considering how it can take £40,000+ and four years just to pass the course, let alone qualify. I think it just goes to show how fantastically broken the higher education system in the UK is.

If you're passionate about the degree and profession, you'll be fine, however, I think the days are gone where you can just 'do it' secure in the knowledge you'll have a job at the end.
username1465903
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FallenPetal)
Yep. In the past 10 years, I would say Pharmacy has done a U-turn in terms of job prospects - it's gone from fantastic to quite poor, especially considering how it can take £40,000+ and four years just to pass the course, let alone qualify. I think it just goes to show how fantastically broken the higher education system in the UK is.

If you're passionate about the degree and profession, you'll be fine, however, I think the days are gone where you can just 'do it' secure in the knowledge you'll have a job at the end.
They need to cap pharmacy student numbers like medicine and dentistry, but theres not a chance they will.
Just go for medicine or dentistry IMO
nataliemuh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have to pick between biomed sci and pharmacology based on uni offers,The thing is quite a lot of biomedical science students say that there is such high demand and you have to do certain like certificates to be able to even start off and that loads of people just end up becoming like teachers and stuff like that so I don’t know whether to just pick pharmacy or or stick with my original idea which was biomedical science
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FallenPetal)

With 25 yrs experience as a community pharmacist, I agree with this post.
The degree is great, hard work, but varied and interesting. It's just the job at the end of it that's the problem!
Sarah H.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username1465903)
They need to cap pharmacy student numbers like medicine and dentistry, but theres not a chance they will.
Just go for medicine or dentistry IMO
I agree a cap on student number (to correct the current oversupply) would help resolve many of the issues besetting community pharmacy today (opportunity, pay and working conditions). I also agree that absolutely nothing will be done.

Simply there are powerful invested groups that would oppose any cap. In particular the large multiples that dominate community pharmacy want an oversupply to keep wages down and to impose working conditions that only a few years ago would have been branded totally unacceptable. A pharmacist has little negotiating power when there are desperate pharmacists willing to accept what they reject.

In a Chemist & Druggist article back in 2014 this is illustrated well: “Capping student numbers would prevent newly qualified pharmacists from working abroad and drive up wages", says parent company Celesio UK's (then) MD Cormac Tobin”
(Celesio is the parent company of Lloyds Pharmacy).

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...nt-numbers-cap

Please read the replies from practicing community pharmacists to this article (free to view).

And yet again I would urge prospective students to get some work experience in a community pharmacy or at least solicit opinion from as many pharmacists currently working in community as possible before applying.
Last edited by Sarah H.; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (459)
51.34%
No (435)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed