Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The halls are pretty expensive and I've found private accommodation for £300 a less per term including utility bills? I make friends really easy anyway and I'm not gonna shy away from student clubs or anything

ReputationRep:
    That is incredibly cheap! Have you gone and checked out this accommodation? Private accommodation is like £400-£500 per month on average inclusive of bills so to be paying less than half of that in a whole term is either a very good deal or a very bad deal. You have to question why they are charging so little for the accommodation so I'd do a lot of investigating!
    Also university isn't just about the social life although it is very important. At the beginning you will find yourself enjoying the night life and all but if you get caught up in that life then you will find yourself falling behind heavily, I know loads of students struggling in my year because of this. So that's something to be aware of. You may also end up living with really great people but you might end up with people you don't get along with and can you imagine going home after uni to people you loathe. Also you might end up with a flatmate that has late night parties yet you have an exam first thing in the morning (the numerous stories I've heard about that!)
    Don't get me wrong though, halls can be such a great experience that enhances your student life! You can go for night outs whenever you like without worrying about transport home, you'll be so close to uni (perhaps wake up 5/10 minutes before a lecture and still make it on time). You may be able to build close friendships with your flatmates.
    Is it necessary that you go into halls or can you commute to university daily? I spent some time in halls and although it was great for a while, after I got bored of freshers, I didn't see the point in halls. I was wasting so much money on accommodation when I could have saved it up by living at home. But I went back to staying at home and I saved up enough money to buy my own car plus afford insurance and to go on holiday! If i remained in halls then I couldn't have been able to do that.
    It really depends on your own personal situation. If you can afford halls plus buying food and also spending money for nights out and other stuff, and you don't mind being away from home and studying or you live too far away to commute regularly, then definately go for halls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseyd)
    That is incredibly cheap! Have you gone and checked out this accommodation? Private accommodation is like £400-£500 per month on average inclusive of bills so to be paying less than half of that in a whole term is either a very good deal or a very bad deal. You have to question why they are charging so little for the accommodation so I'd do a lot of investigating!
    Also university isn't just about the social life although it is very important. At the beginning you will find yourself enjoying the night life and all but if you get caught up in that life then you will find yourself falling behind heavily, I know loads of students struggling in my year because of this. So that's something to be aware of. You may also end up living with really great people but you might end up with people you don't get along with and can you imagine going home after uni to people you loathe. Also you might end up with a flatmate that has late night parties yet you have an exam first thing in the morning (the numerous stories I've heard about that!)
    Don't get me wrong though, halls can be such a great experience that enhances your student life! You can go for night outs whenever you like without worrying about transport home, you'll be so close to uni (perhaps wake up 5/10 minutes before a lecture and still make it on time). You may be able to build close friendships with your flatmates.
    Is it necessary that you go into halls or can you commute to university daily? I spent some time in halls and although it was great for a while, after I got bored of freshers, I didn't see the point in halls. I was wasting so much money on accommodation when I could have saved it up by living at home. But I went back to staying at home and I saved up enough money to buy my own car plus afford insurance and to go on holiday! If i remained in halls then I couldn't have been able to do that.
    It really depends on your own personal situation. If you can afford halls plus buying food and also spending money for nights out and other stuff, and you don't mind being away from home and studying or you live too far away to commute regularly, then definately go for halls!
    Wow thank you so much for an amazing and dedicated reply!
    The area I believe is very cheap being Swansea University. I live in Pembrokeshire about 50 miles from Swansea so unless I started earning a lot while in University then I couldn't afford the diesel to commute everyday.
    I do have a girlfriend of 2 and a half years and I've never enjoyed drinking that much but will of course go out for freshers. Being in a law degree which is supposed to be a lot of work I don't want to fall behind!
    The private shared accommodation is £75 per week including utility bills and by the pictures it looks great and only has 1 bedroom left to let! Whereas the halls, depending on which of my preferences I get will cost £96-£120 a week. And I really don't know what to do.

EDIT: I think you misunderstood too, I meant I would be saving around £300-400 each term if I stayed in private accommodation! Haha!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh haha right I see sorry! Now that makes a lot of sense. £75 pw is really cheap but if you're saying that the area is really cheap for that stuff then I'd go for it! But try and see if you can maybe go and see this place before paying as I've had a friend who found a place for £85 pw and it looked good from photos but when he moved in, it was a complete disgusting mess from previous residents and although he complained, he had already paid and his tenant was hiding behind some legal contract. Try and see if you can arrange to see it beforehand as you'll know if you really like it once you're in there.
    Perhaps you can also check out halls as well, maybe make a day of it? Halls rooms are tiny and you're block will be with like 6-7 other residents. Those walls can also be quite thin too :| Definately make a day of it though, perhaps go with your gf and check out both of them then you will know for sure. After all, you will be staying there for a whole year atleast!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.