Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muscle gain without lifting Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I am on my gap year (coming to an end now), working full-time- doing a year in industry.

All I have done this year, is eat chocolate. I have gained a lot of weight, wouldn't call myself fat but I'm certainly bigger than before. Gone up from 70 to 75kg, I am 5'9/5'10.

I want to start doing circuits at home, I haven't got any dumbbells, and moving back home in a month, so there's no point buying any weights now. I have bought a pull-up bar but I can't do any more than 2-ish atm.

I can't do any more than 10 pressups in one go, but here's my plan.

A total of 100pressups a day.

100 situps (50situps, 50 legups) a day.

100 squats.

As many pull-ups as possible

What else can I do to get toned, and gain muscle mass in moderate amounts? I have stopped eating chocolate, I eat lots of meat, and going to stop eating carbs after 4. I eat fruit at night.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd just focus on getting the fat off then once you can work out properly gain muscle. It's hard to do both at once anyway. By all means do strength stuff if you want but it's limited. BW squats will achieve nothing really, training legs in any significant way without proper weights just doesn't work. There's loads of better core exercises than sit ups (google 'core exercies'), no idea what you mean by leg ups but hanging leg raises are a better one. Anything you can do loads of reps on is too easy for you to gain muscle so you end up training endurance. Pull ups are good. 10 reps is good so try adding weight in a backpack to your push ups and keep the reps around there (same endurance thing) and do dips too.

Carbs after 4 and fruit at night makes no real difference though, calories in vs calories out is the only thing worth focusing on.

ReputationRep:
    press ups and the likes won't build muscle, it'll tone them up because you're only using your own bodyweight, and not more

You don't need weights to lift, you can practically lift anything which is heavy, like a tire. It's usually just easier and more practical to use weights in the gym though

carb after 4 is bull****, you could eat all through the night, as long as you get your required calories.

ReputationRep:
    I know quite a few people who have built a fair amount of muscle mass doing pressups and chinups only..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    If I were you I'd just focus on getting the fat off then once you can work out properly gain muscle. It's hard to do both at once anyway. By all means do strength stuff if you want but it's limited. BW squats will achieve nothing really, training legs in any significant way without proper weights just doesn't work. There's loads of better core exercises than sit ups (google 'core exercies'), no idea what you mean by leg ups but hanging leg raises are a better one. Anything you can do loads of reps on is too easy for you to gain muscle so you end up training endurance. Pull ups are good. 10 reps is good so try adding weight in a backpack to your push ups and keep the reps around there (same endurance thing) and do dips too.

Carbs after 4 and fruit at night makes no real difference though, calories in vs calories out is the only thing worth focusing on.
    Leg-ups as in laying down and lifting legs up slowly. I'd rather just gain muscle then, I think my fat will go down itself, I am not that fat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.