Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys I feel less confident while using commas, and this reason being is that I had always though using a comma would be inserted where ever I would have token a deep breath, and I've been getting a lot or punctuation errors in my work. Any useful tips, or advise you can give me on how to use a comma so I won't make stupid mistakes? Any method you may use that may be helpful to me? Thank you. I would appreciate some guidance.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you hit up a website on grammar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Highfiveyou)
    Hey there guys I feel less confident while using commas, and this reason being is that I had always though using a comma would be inserted where ever I would have token a deep breath, and I've been getting a lot or punctuation errors in my work. Any useful tips, or advise you can give me on how to use a comma so I won't make stupid mistakes? Any method you may use that may be helpful to me? Thank you. I would appreciate some guidance.
    Rule of thumb would be the pausing rule you mentioned, but done backwards because you tend to pause more when writing than reading. A stricter usage would only be when you are separating two main clauses or possibly using a subordinating conjunction. To be honest, I do the same thing as you and tend to put commas everywhere. Find a youtube vid about comma-splicing or a grammar textbook.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so worried considering I'm starting university this September and I will has to write up essays! I'm so dead. Should I just use conjunction everytime I use a coma? Will that be safe. I actually though using a comma would be so simple there is much more to a comma than I knew at first.

Will universities mark me down if I use commas incorrectly they are my only weakness right now.

At school we never really learned anything other than use a comma, if in need of breath.

Have j used commas correctly in what I have written above?

ReputationRep:
    I get anxiety and that is what makes this 10x worse.

ReputationRep:
    What is a subordinating conjunction? Please elaborate for me.

I used to be so good at commas, and now I've been told different things about commas and how you should apply them in a sentence, it just seems way too complicated. I really feel like this is the only thing holding me back. I have a dream of going university. But info can't punctuate properly then that is going to drag me down. 😭

ReputationRep:
    If I *

ReputationRep:
    just done some research on What is a subordinating conjunction , I think i know what you on about. I've attempted What subordinating conjunction in the sentence below with a coma. Is it a right, or incorrect?

1) After going to the shops, I had realised I had forgotten the key ingredient.

2) Because Sarah was badly injured, She could no longer participate in the race.

3) Whenever I use a comma, I always get confused.

4) Since we're cooking, we should really try to make a cake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I suggest you hit up a website on grammar.
    I have read many grammar books; they haven't helped, not a single bit. I feel less confident everyday. Are you like a pro at punctuation? How would you use commas? When you need to pause?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.