Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Germany - 7 world and european titles - 14 major finals - 20 major semi finals Watch

ReputationRep:
    What awesome tournament record they have.

4 World cups (1954, 1974, 1990, 2014) 3 European championships (1972, 1980, 1996)

14 World cup and European Championship finals

20 World cup and European Championship semi finals

England have been in ONE final (1966), and FOUR semi finals (1966, 1968, 1990, 1996).

How on earth do they do it? Similar population (well West Germany was) unified Germany slightly bigger. They are ridiculous statistics and absolutely crush Englands record.

But why? Germany have had very good players, but never Messi's, Ronaldo's Maradona's, Pele's etc, players who do lots of step overs etc. None of that, but still excellent nonetheless. What do England need to do to be as good as Germany? Its phenomenal anyway, I tip my hat to them.

Since and including 1970, England have been to 2 semi finals. Thats 23 tournaments. For nation that invented the sport (and I know that doesn't give them a divine right to win it) but it does mean they've had a long standing history with the sport, longer than anyone else and with all the money and facilities in this country geared towards the sport, its a shocking record. It should prompt national outrage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.