Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my AS-levels and have started my research for potential universities where I could study history (v100). Sheffield has stood out due to its topic flexibility and success in uni standings for satisfaction/employment. I live in London so it will be hard to visit an open day, I just want to know:
    - Is Sheffield a friendly environment?
    - Is it more of a campus site, or more spread around (distance from room to history dept.?)
    - Does it have a 'close-knit' community where everyone knows everybody, or does its large population mean friends are made only with subject colleagues?
    - And finally, are there many societies for students to join?

Thanks to anyone from Sheffield who is kind enough to reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okiknight)
    I have just finished my AS-levels and have started my research for potential universities where I could study history (v100). Sheffield has stood out due to its topic flexibility and success in uni standings for satisfaction/employment. I live in London so it will be hard to visit an open day, I just want to know:
    - Is Sheffield a friendly environment?
    - Is it more of a campus site, or more spread around (distance from room to history dept.?)
    - Does it have a 'close-knit' community where everyone knows everybody, or does its large population mean friends are made only with subject colleagues?
    - And finally, are there many societies for students to join?

Thanks to anyone from Sheffield who is kind enough to reply
    Like you I live in London and I went to visit Sheffield when I was considering universities. I would strongly urge you to do the same, as some things are so subjective and you can't get everything off the internet. If you can't get a lift its only 2 1/2 hours on the train so can be done in a day.

I can't answer all of your questions however I can tell you that Sheffield isn't a campus uni- it's several buildings around the city on main roads the general public have access to. Most of the teaching buildings seemed close together although as I understand it accomodation was much further apart. I would imagine as there are 25,000 students you aren't going to know everyone!

As for Societies http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-invo...-societies.php

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.