Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do I keep getting rejected for entry level retail jobs!!???? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been applying for a part time job the past few months for different retailers (next, GAP, clarks etc and even boots) and even fast food companies but keep getting turned down. it's really pi**ing me off right now because I don't know what I have to do to get a job as a stockroom assistant or cleaner!!! do i need a masters in chemistry or something???????? what are they looking for seriously.

I will be in A2 this september and have mentioned that i am going to work permanently which is what they want as well but I'm thinking me being a student (17) while other applicants are in their 20s and 30s is putting me at a disadvantage.

Some even want some sort of experience in customer service for effffin entry level jobs!! what the **** the whole point of an entry level job is to get experience. i have done voluntary work in a nursing home and charity but aparently this is not relevant to them???

can anyone tell me what to do to be successful?
    i even change and edit my cover letter every time i apply for a position at a different company to make it original and stuff. i really dont know guys I've run out of ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Try and get more experience, I know its difficult, but its a lot more difficult to get a job nowadays and experience is what helps them make a decision. volunteer elsewhere and gain the skills that they are looking for. Also, when they reject you, ask them what you could do to improve, so you know what you`re missing. If they ask for skills like, work under pressure, try and find jobs where you can display that. A really good idea would be to get a placement, you could gain some money and get experience at good places.
    I use these sites for job searching:
    Indeed.co.uk
    Reed
    Totaljobs
    CV-Library
    E4S (Employment 4 Students)

This site is good for placements : Ratemyplacement.
    Im sure if you Google it, you can find plenty of other placement organisations

Hope you find a job

ReputationRep:
    Know the feeling

Have you seen ads for the sale support for NEXT? If so, apply. You've a high chance of getting it even without experience as they need a lot of people. I got rejected from next like 4 times for normal jobs but got a cep the straight away for this. I mean it is only a day or two but it's still experience in a good company.

Aside from that I have no idea. I have been unlucky applying for everything and anything, it's so depressing. I've done a few one off jobs though like events and stuff - you should look out for stuff like that as they usually take anyone, pay quite well and boost your experience.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit stupid, but I got rejected from a few retail interviews before I found one that took me on. When asking for feedback, they quite literally either said "you didn't have enough experience" or "other applicants were more experienced".

My mum used to get angry and say how could you get experience if nobody wants to hire you in the first place. And by experience, they don't mean any previous work, they specifically mean they want applicants with previous retail jobs. Probably makes them easier to train and they get on with the job, whereas someone new to the retail job sector needs more time to learn (although, it's really not exactly hard or time consuming, is it?).

The only thing I can advise is to persevere and find a company that is willing to hire you with no experience. If any of your friends work in shops and know their shop is hiring, you can ask them to put in a good word for you. It would be very easy for me, if my shop were hiring, to say to my manager "I've got a friend who needs a job who would be really good here". It would probably automatically get that friend an interview because my manager trusts me and it makes their life so much easier in terms of sifting through applicants and interviewing people when they have a recommendation.

I know you've said you've applied to it, but Next is normally known for offering school kids part time placements with no experience. Maybe try again soon. Also, White Stuff, New Look, and coffee shops like Costa also seem to hire. Coffee shops have little issue offering training to newbies, as even experienced coffee shop workers who are new have to go through the same training anyway.

Alternatively, there might be something not quite right with your CV. Does it look good, impressive, and contains all the info it should? Make sure it's concise and easy to read, but detailed enough to show yourself off and your skills. If you have a bland and relatively blank CV with just grades on it, it won't look impressive. You can also try tailoring it to a retail job by including kind of work you are looking for. If anyone can look at your CV they might be able to help improve it - worth a shot.

PS if you don't hear back from companies, don't always assume they've rejected you. Your CV could be put at the bottom of a pile. Go round your town in August/September and hand in CVS everywhere you can - even if they aren't actually hiring. Many students leave for uni around that time, so jobs might open up. Try again in November to keep your CV near the top of the pile and maybe you could get Christmas work - stores always need more staff at Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    Sounds a bit stupid, but I got rejected from a few retail interviews before I found one that took me on. When asking for feedback, they quite literally either said "you didn't have enough experience" or "other applicants were more experienced".

My mum used to get angry and say how could you get experience if nobody wants to hire you in the first place. And by experience, they don't mean any previous work, they specifically mean they want applicants with previous retail jobs. Probably makes them easier to train and they get on with the job, whereas someone new to the retail job sector needs more time to learn (although, it's really not exactly hard or time consuming, is it?).

The only thing I can advise is to persevere and find a company that is willing to hire you with no experience. If any of your friends work in shops and know their shop is hiring, you can ask them to put in a good word for you. It would be very easy for me, if my shop were hiring, to say to my manager "I've got a friend who needs a job who would be really good here". It would probably automatically get that friend an interview because my manager trusts me and it makes their life so much easier in terms of sifting through applicants and interviewing people when they have a recommendation.

I know you've said you've applied to it, but Next is normally known for offering school kids part time placements with no experience. Maybe try again soon. Also, White Stuff, New Look, and coffee shops like Costa also seem to hire. Coffee shops have little issue offering training to newbies, as even experienced coffee shop workers who are new have to go through the same training anyway.

Alternatively, there might be something not quite right with your CV. Does it look good, impressive, and contains all the info it should? Make sure it's concise and easy to read, but detailed enough to show yourself off and your skills. If you have a bland and relatively blank CV with just grades on it, it won't look impressive. You can also try tailoring it to a retail job by including kind of work you are looking for. If anyone can look at your CV they might be able to help improve it - worth a shot.

PS if you don't hear back from companies, don't always assume they've rejected you. Your CV could be put at the bottom of a pile. Go round your town in August/September and hand in CVS everywhere you can - even if they aren't actually hiring. Many students leave for uni around that time, so jobs might open up. Try again in November to keep your CV near the top of the pile and maybe you could get Christmas work - stores always need more staff at Christmas.
    my CV is 'impressive' in my opinion as I have mentioned specific skills that will be useful for the role and gave examples of it.
    and i thought that this was the case: other applicants have more experience than me so they will be picked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dead101)
    Know the feeling

Have you seen ads for the sale support for NEXT? If so, apply. You've a high chance of getting it even without experience as they need a lot of people. I got rejected from next like 4 times for normal jobs but got a cep the straight away for this. I mean it is only a day or two but it's still experience in a good company.

Aside from that I have no idea. I have been unlucky applying for everything and anything, it's so depressing. I've done a few one off jobs though like events and stuff - you should look out for stuff like that as they usually take anyone, pay quite well and boost your experience.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i will try that thanks. and next also state you can't apply for the same role during the next months. annoying

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really looked at network retailers such as vodafone and O2 but apparently they have a few vacancies at the moment. just wondering if that will give me some type of advantage since teens+technology= good combo??
    I guess I shouldn't be too nitpicky any job will satisfy me right now

ReputationRep:
    They say entry level but obviously if they can have someone who has been trained elsewhere they will hit the ground running so to speak, whereas although the training isn't difficult etc, they will have to pay to train you. I know a boy who did a week of work experience in a shop and then he got offered a job there, people sneer at work experience but it gives you the experience you need to get a job if you're not able to get one. Just a week of working on the till, doing the stock take, talking to customers etc will give you relevant skills that all the other candidates with experience have, yes it's annoying to work free for a week but if you really want a job that's what I would do. When I was 16 I worked for a week in Pizza Hut which was awful but then I got a job at Waitrose so it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onepiece#1)
    I haven't really looked at network retailers such as vodafone and O2 but apparently they have a few vacancies at the moment. just wondering if that will give me some type of advantage since teens+technology= good combo??
    I guess I shouldn't be too nitpicky any job will satisfy me right now
    In my experience they're just as picky but pay a lot better tbh. i applied to Vodafone but they're competitive to get into as they have a really good hourly wage and also would rather experience over inexperienced - like everywhere else quite off putting, it's no wonder people lose hope when applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onepiece#1)
    my CV is 'impressive' in my opinion as I have mentioned specific skills that will be useful for the role and gave examples of it.
    and i thought that this was the case: other applicants have more experience than me so they will be picked
    Exactly. It may not be that you're not good enough, but others a better. So you just have to make yourself look better. Hence why I suggested having second opinions on it. You (meaning people in general, not just you specifically) should always be updating and refining a CV to make it the best it can be.

When you turn 18 you could consider applying for bar jobs. Despite the fact it involves training from scratch, bars and clubs often take on 18 year olds because they are normally young, energetic and willing to do shifts at all hours (for money) that nobody else really wants to work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.