Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In September I'll be starting Year 12, the start of A levels and currently I'm unsure of what I actually want to pursue. I wish to study Medicine at University, most likely in a Russell Group University, currently I'm unsure whether Maths is required at A Level to do Medicine at University or is it just a recommendation? For definite I'll be doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography, however I need to pursue another subject.

I achieved an A* in Maths (GCSE) last year (I sat the exam early), and due to not having done Maths for the last few months I've lost interest in the subject, therefore feel like I won't perform as well compared to other subjects. So here's my question, should I pursue Maths at A Level, currently have 0 interest in the subject or do something else which actually interests me, for example I.C.T?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    ok well, I've just done my AS level exams and I took both ICT and maths. I got an A* at GCSE just like you but I didn't really care too much about maths I was just kinda good at it. But after doing A level maths I like it a lot more... A level maths is a lot more challenging and just all around more fun than GCSE maths. Also I really don't like ICT, theres so much coursework you have to do and its just annoying. ICT is probably the easier option for most people, but for me I think maths is easier for me than ICT. I am good at exams but terrible at coursework, I'm good at maths but terrible at english. (I scraped a C in GCSE english)

So I don't know if it's just me but I think you will like maths more at A level. Also I don't think it's that hard to get a good grade in at A level, if you have an A* at GCSE maths.

You should look up the spec for maths and see what is on there. But if you really think you will not like it then just pick the subject that you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you were able to get an A* at GCSE, that does suggest that you have some interest in the subject, and even though you may have lost some now, it could easily be revived again if you started studying it again in September. Honestly, if you are serious about medicine then I would recommend maths over ICT, i think it looks better, it's more of a stronger option. However it is ultimately up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Ahmad)
    In September I'll be starting Year 12, the start of A levels and currently I'm unsure of what I actually want to pursue. I wish to study Medicine at University, most likely in a Russell Group University, currently I'm unsure whether Maths is required at A Level to do Medicine at University or is it just a recommendation? For definite I'll be doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography, however I need to pursue another subject.

I achieved an A* in Maths (GCSE) last year (I sat the exam early), and due to not having done Maths for the last few months I've lost interest in the subject, therefore feel like I won't perform as well compared to other subjects. So here's my question, should I pursue Maths at A Level, currently have 0 interest in the subject or do something else which actually interests me, for example I.C.T?

Thanks!
    You don't need Maths or Physics for Medicine unless you want to go to Cambridge or Oxford which (as far as I can remember) are the only ones that ask for Maths or Physics. For anywhere else, Chem and Bio are definitely enough to get in. Though still Medicine is so competitive that they still want good A-Level subjects (so none branded as soft) so try to refrain from ICT but choose something else slightly more rigorous, but not too rigorous as it's your 4th A-Level such as Computing or possibly Psychology even? Maybe English Lit but I assume you're not really an English person, Med students seem to hate English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayolaguy)
    a lot more challenging and just all around more fun
    Except for S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    You don't need Maths or Physics for Medicine unless you want to go to Cambridge or Oxford
    Not Oxford. Just Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.