Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In September I'll be starting Year 12, the start of A levels and currently I'm unsure of what I actually want to pursue. I wish to study Medicine at University, most likely in a Russell Group University, currently I'm unsure whether Maths is required at A Level to do Medicine at University or is it just a recommendation? For definite I'll be doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography, however I need to pursue another subject.

I achieved an A* in Maths (GCSE) last year (I sat the exam early), and due to not having done Maths for the last few months I've lost interest in the subject, therefore feel like I won't perform as well compared to other subjects. So here's my question, should I pursue Maths at A Level, currently have 0 interest in the subject or do something else which actually interests me, for example I.C.T?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Some unis do ask for A Level maths for some subjects as a requirement, but i dont think its for Medicine. I think you should check on uni websites and see what they have entered as their requirements

ReputationRep:
    Not a requirement but I'd say to do it.

Easy AS tbh.

And you'll gain interest in it again.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think that ICT could limit your options for medicine, although a lot of universities don't specify maths as being essential, on many medical courses you have to take extra maths classes if you don't have an A level standard of maths so you could save yourself the time and complete an A level in maths. Also, AS level maths (year 12) is generally meant to be of an equal difficulty as A* level GCSE maths, to aid the transition from GCSE to A level, and seeing as you already have an A* in maths you shouldn't find this too taxing.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a requirement but for some unis e.g. Oxbridge it's better to have more science subjects (includes maths), so doing physics or maths would be better.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the support, I've decided to pursue Physics instead of Maths.
    Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a really bad mistake for anyone to take any science at A Level and skip out on Maths. Not only will Maths help you with your sciences (I know some of the OCR Physics requires some AS content) but it really limits you on what you can do at university. I know you have said you're looking at Medicine, but if you suddenly change your mind, a Physics A Level without a Maths A Level is very limiting. For example, my friend took AS Art, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and wanted to go into veterinary science; she then decided after AS that she'd rather go for engineering. She then had to take the Maths A Level in one year, and apply to all universities without even a predicted grade in an AS Level Maths...

ReputationRep:
    Don't do ICT at A-level, I wasted valuable time doing this and now I'm having to wait 3 years to apply for a Masters at Imperial whilst I do a self taught A-level in Maths.

I didn't learn anything at A-Level for ICT, it was just basic stuff...make a powerpoint, memos, letterheads etc. (so unless it's changed since I did it in 2008) stay clear and do something more challenging.

I'm only 1/3 of the way into my maths, but I'm sure it will make you a more logical and practical thinker, especially if you're doing medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.