Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In September I'll be starting Year 12, the start of A levels and currently I'm unsure of what I actually want to pursue. I wish to study Medicine at University, most likely in a Russell Group University, currently I'm unsure whether Maths is required at A Level to do Medicine at University or is it just a recommendation? For definite I'll be doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography, however I need to pursue another subject.

I achieved an A* in Maths (GCSE) last year (I sat the exam early), and due to not having done Maths for the last few months I've lost interest in the subject, therefore feel like I won't perform as well compared to other subjects. So here's my question, should I pursue Maths at A Level, currently have 0 interest in the subject or do something else which actually interests me, for example I.C.T?

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Ahmad)
    In September I'll be starting Year 12, the start of A levels and currently I'm unsure of what I actually want to pursue. I wish to study Medicine at University, most likely in a Russell Group University, currently I'm unsure whether Maths is required at A Level to do Medicine at University or is it just a recommendation? For definite I'll be doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography, however I need to pursue another subject.

I achieved an A* in Maths (GCSE) last year (I sat the exam early), and due to not having done Maths for the last few months I've lost interest in the subject, therefore feel like I won't perform as well compared to other subjects. So here's my question, should I pursue Maths at A Level, currently have 0 interest in the subject or do something else which actually interests me, for example I.C.T?

Thanks!
    Maths is not needed or recommended for medicine. Study chemistry, biology and another science - whatever you want to study. Less ideal would be chemistry, biology and a non-science, but again this is not a major problem. For more specific advice, check the FAQ here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

Specifically the A-Level recommendation page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

At AS Level you should aim to take Chemistry, Biology and two other academic subjects. You do not need Mathematics to study medicine. Further Maths is usually not counted as an additional qualification alongside Mathematics. It is not advisable to study more than the standard four subjects as this will put strain on your ability to study effectively, and there is currently absolutely no benefit in having studied more.

At A2 Level you should aim to drop one subject at AS, and carry on three. You should continue Chemistry, Biology and one other academic subject. Again, you do not need Mathematics to study medicine. There is no need for the third A2 to be in a science subject, however certain medical schools do have a requirement for three sciences. A significant proportion of medical schools accept a third non-science A2. A small minority of medical schools give a slight preference to applicants who have studied a third, contrasting (non-science) subject at A2. Do not study more than the standard three A2 - you will put strain on yourself and this may cause you to drop a grade and thus miss your medicine offer. There is no advantage to studying more than the standard three.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    I'd advise against doing ICT, it's better do stick with more traditional subjects and indeed some universities may strongly prefer you to do three 'academic' A levels.

This could be, for example, another science (maths or physics), a social science (eg history, economics) or a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths is not even recommended by any university i am aware of.

I am unaware of any med school except Cambridge that wants three sciences. I am also unaware of any med school except UCL that has a preference for a contrasting subject. In fact, I think i will edit the wiki to make that clearer. EDIT: except I can't...

Do the subject you're interested in.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Take the maths, an A* suggests reasonable ability and it keep non medical avenues open to you which is very important!
    That said I did those exact subjects and kept all 4 to a2. As maths was simple but a2 was the bane of.my life that and the research module of.geography.were pure crap!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Just a small point - a lot of people say they're applying to "Russell Group" but never why, because for medicine it really doesn't make a difference where you go.

Secondly if you're not enjoying maths, don't do it. You only need to do the 4th subject for 1 year but you'll want to do really well in it to maximise your application options. Medicine is all about applying to your strengths, for example if your UKCAT is amazing, apply to places that favour that. If your UKCAT is pants but you have 25 GCSEs at A* then apply to somewhere that loves GCSEs but isn't bothered about the UKCAT. In order to do that, you want to do as well as possible to keep options open, therefore doing a subject you don't like any more might not be the way to go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.