Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was Baroness Butler-Sloss pushed into stepping down from abuse enquiry? Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    All she had was praise on Radio 4 this morning, but now she's stepped down and said in a statement she doesn't feel she was "right" for the job.

Was she too close to the establishment, or as Radio 4's John Humphry considered this morning, are we a nation becoming obsessed with unpicking historic abuse at the expense of combating current abuse (very controversial statement, I know).

In my view, Butler-Sloss is a lady of undoubted integrity and should not have stepped down, despite her family link to Sir Michael Havers.

I don't think it's the role of politicians to have possibly bullied her into stepping down, either.

ReputationRep:
    Her position was made untenable by the mewing of these various non-entities. If I were her, I'd have jacked it in too. Why bother? She's about to turn 81. Does she really want to spend the next decade investigating every public figure from the 1980s? Surprised she accepted the job in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)

In my view, Butler-Sloss is a lady of undoubted integrity and should not have stepped down, despite her family link to Sir Michael Havers.
    She has integrity but poor judgement.

She was appointed to hold Princess Diana's inquest. It was obvious that with wild allegations of MI6 and Prince Philip involvement that there would have to be a jury. She had no experience as a judge with juries. She ruled against an inquest jury. The decision was overturned on judicial review as it was always going to be and she stepped down.

When she held the Cleveland child abuse enquiry, she failed to think about the cost of the system she was recommending. As a result care cases have been a legal gravy train for the last 20 years and have been one of the major causes of the collapse of the legal aid system.

Her wish for secret justice has brought about the collapse in confidence in the family courts system. Mumby as her latest successor has been trying to dismantle the wall of secrecy she erected.

That is without thinking about what happened in Chichester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    despite her family link to Sir Michael Havers.
    You see absolutely no problem with that?

Mr Goldsmith claims her brother, former attorney general Sir Michael Havers, wrote the terms of reference of an inquiry into Kincora Boys' Home.

He said the inquiry focused only on social workers and staff, excluding visitors to the east Belfast home.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28300654

ReputationRep:
    Google "establishment" and tell me what comes up. Whoever appointed her to head the enquiry probably is a complete idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What Nulli Tertius said, she's never been a great inquiry judge, she's a fearsome one, but not sure the overall result has always been a good one.

There issue now is they've got to try and find a judge who isn't also a linked to the Establishment in any way, and then get some pigs to fly them to the hearing every day.

Maybe Sedley LJ? That'd be fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

If politicians start mysteriously dying, they are probably involved in abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Of course.

Cameron could see that he made a mistake when the media and public started to question why someone who who is a member of the institution she would be investigating, is leading the inquiry. But he would not sack her as that looks bad on the Conservative PR. It's like asking Mark Chapman to look over the case files for John Lennon's assassination.

ReputationRep:
    Poor Mr Cameron. He doesn't seem to be able to judge who's right for the job does he?

How to 'make an Andy Coulson' of it.

Appoint first and think about it afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    She was right to step down. If there was any even vaguely credible hint of her possibly not being impartial, it made sense for her to step aside and make sure that the thing was done in a manner that was above reproach.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.