Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, if you're in halls this year, how many of you are going to take advantage of the free sports membership?

I've never been that sporty, and practically allergic to the gym, but I'm tempted to try a few things, particularly swimming and badminton, maybe a little tennis or basketball.

Anyone else thinking of trying something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosshawk)
    Just wondering, if you're in halls this year, how many of you are going to take advantage of the free sports membership?

I've never been that sporty, and practically allergic to the gym, but I'm tempted to try a few things, particularly swimming and badminton, maybe a little tennis or basketball.

Anyone else thinking of trying something?
    I'm so excited about the free membership! Until last month I had never set foot in a gym and didn't ever intend to, but I was invited swimming at a local gym and really enjoyed it (eventually even venturing onto the treadmill and cross trainer), so had a months free trial and now i'm sad it's ending. I feel like I have more stamina which i'd like to keep, and i'd like to try new things like badminton too. Plus, not taking advantage of it would be crazy! It costs at least £20 a month for a student membership at regular gyms and the one at the university is incredibly convenient, so it will help to work off those extra alcohol calories

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American and most of us seem to live at the gym sadly (to try to balance out all the fattening food we eat), but I will be using the gym @ the university regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feathergirl)
    ... so it will help to work off those extra alcohol calories
    I don't know what you mean...

Good to know someone else who's vaguely new will be trying things out, I might wander around the bikes too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of trying the exercise classes (which I'm pretty sure are free too) since I'm not at all experienced in a gym!

ReputationRep:
    It's only £60 quid a year for the students that don't live in the halls, and the Gym is decent. I run 10k four times a week, and I'm certain I couldn't do it on a treadmill, but I'll use the gym for the weights and maybe even give yoga a blast.

ReputationRep:
    I like doing spin classes and I got a program from a physiotherapist to strengthen my back muscles, so I'll be doing that. Maybe this time I'll finally manage to get a weekly habit out of it. I've been working at the University of Oslo for a few years and get a really cheap gym membership through that, but I always feel bad for not using it more.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I have every intention of taking advantage of the gym... I have been meaning to start regular swimming but I'll have no excuse with free membership and the gym right on my doorstep 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is membership to the gym free? I assumed we'd still have to pay for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahdee)
    If you're staying in university accommodation, a year's membership is included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahdee)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're staying in the accommodation it is, however, it's only £60 quid a year if you're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gillybop)
    If you're staying in the accommodation it is, however, it's only £60 quid a year if you're not.
    Aw that's great, I thought £60 was a discount with accommodation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of the gym. My membership here in the US lapsed a couple of months ago and I was too lazy to get it renewed. I'm not really athletic at all, but I'm hoping that starting fresh in a new country will help me develop some better habits

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.