Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this question has been asked before, but I am a bit desperate. I want to take the BMAT exam this autumn and, unfortunately, my science curriculum-biology, chemistry and physics-, as good as it is when it comes to basic knowledge, is nowhere near the detailed one required for BMAT (this is my own conclusion I may be wrong but it's better to be well-prepared). I don't need just revision, I need proper course books. Basically, I want to learn the BMAT required science subjects from scratch. So, I want to ask someone who has taken this exam successfully which are the best books when it comes to learning, not only exercising and revising. I have some ideas(the Edexcel International GCSE student book, the Cambridge IGCSE Coursebook and the Cambridge International AS level and A level Coursebook- I will need at least three, one for each subject, and maybe some more for practice). So, can you please advise me which of those three are the best? And maybe if there are any others I'd like to know about them as well. I really want to make a smart choice because these books are quite expensive(not that I can't afford them, but it's still uncomfortable to pay this much). I appreciate any piece of advice, especially from people who have taken the BMAT.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    I know this question has been asked before, but I am a bit desperate. I want to take the BMAT exam this autumn and, unfortunately, my science curriculum-biology, chemistry and physics-, as good as it is when it comes to basic knowledge, is nowhere near the detailed one required for BMAT (this is my own conclusion I may be wrong but it's better to be well-prepared). I don't need just revision, I need proper course books. Basically, I want to learn the BMAT required science subjects from scratch. So, I want to ask someone who has taken this exam successfully which are the best books when it comes to learning, not only exercising and revising. I have some ideas(the Edexcel International GCSE student book, the Cambridge IGCSE Coursebook and the Cambridge International AS level and A level Coursebook- I will need at least three, one for each subject, and maybe some more for practice). So, can you please advise me which of those three are the best? And maybe if there are any others I'd like to know about them as well. I really want to make a smart choice because these books are quite expensive(not that I can't afford them, but it's still uncomfortable to pay this much). I appreciate any piece of advice, especially from people who have taken the BMAT.
    Well, for a spoiler, i haven't taken the BMAT but for revision and stuff, and building up your science knowledge good enough to pass a subject, you can do better by trying to find the course specifications, and then watching lectures or presentations/animations on each topic. After that, you can quiz yourself or solve questions from any book (I'm sure others will inform you about the best options). That way, you won't need to cram up stuff, and you'll get to understand how it works.
    Good luck!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    The BMAT is GCSE science, this is covered well by BBC bitesize in my opinion. I'm not sure for GCSE books, as although I've done the BMAT, I didn't use any GCSE textbooks and I've not sat any GCSEs either

It may be worth having a look at a critical thinking book (any one will do), as this will help with some of the S1 questions.

Good Luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    The BMAT is GCSE science, this is covered well by BBC bitesize in my opinion. I'm not sure for GCSE books, as although I've done the BMAT, I didn't use any GCSE textbooks and I've not sat any GCSEs either

It may be worth having a look at a critical thinking book (any one will do), as this will help with some of the S1 questions.

Good Luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! Im preparing for UKCAT as well so I guess that covers S1 pretty well... my biggest worry is for S2
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to resit the BMAT if you didn't get the score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)

Good Luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what did you use to revise for the science based questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elhamm)
    So what did you use to revise for the science based questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    BBC bitesize, Wikipedia, and my old notes/textbooks from school

(Original post by Elhamm)
    Is it possible to resit the BMAT if you didn't get the score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope. You can only sit it once per admissions cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of GCSE revision materials out there.

Its worth noting with some questions that, whilst they do not require scientific knowledge beyond GCSE level, you may be totally unfamiliar with the specific topic being asked about. Its a test that sometimes asks you to apply knowledge to deliberately unfamiliar scenarios. Don't expect to understand every part of the test.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.