Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to put a live chat room on my site, any ideas how to do this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a website and quite a few members have suggested that adding a chat room would be a great idea.

I'm searching for something I might be able to integrate well into my site.

Has anyone tried RumbleTalk or C-box?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of either of those but a subsidiary of one of our clients has integrated with Olark in the past and it looks like a reasonable solution out of the box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalaine)
    Hi,

I have a website and quite a few members have suggested that adding a chat room would be a great idea.

I'm searching for something I might be able to integrate well into my site.

Has anyone tried RumbleTalk or C-box?
    Try: http://paradoxirc.net/wc/MyChatroomName

Replace the bold with whatever you want to call your chatroom and add the page to an iframe on your site.

ReputationRep:
    There Is a PHO chat room and live chat box you can get, do a quick google search

ReputationRep:
    PHP

ReputationRep:
    You could look into free flash ones that you embed into your chat but those look unprofessional and often cannot be customised to properly fit the sites design. You would be reducing server load but possibly increasing bandwidth.

irc is great and can be easily built into a website but it is not always the quickest solution. If your site uses a forum board like phpbb, smf or vbulletin for example then you could use a chat box plugin. Building your own takes time, knowledge and work. You have to keep it updated, functional and secure. I built a small chat box using PHP and MySQL but it's far from complete.

Chatango and xat allow you to instantly embed a flash chat box into your website but it does look really messy and unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a very customisable one my friend made using PHP, SQL and JavaScript: https://github.com/TerenceJefferies/imchat

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I tried all of your suggestions and well as I really needed this I spent a lot of my time and money on researching this but it was worth it at the end. We tried over 20 of these applications and we were only satisfied with Rumbletalk. The thing is that is not the cheapest but for sure is the best one. I really like that people cannot hack my website through it as it is possible with other applications of this type. I can manage my design with is, post youtube videos, pictures, charts and so many more functions that you will maybe know and use about 20%.I also like it a lot because it is possible to customize it with CSS[/url]Worth trying

ReputationRep:
    What is your background are you a developer ? What technologies does your site use ? If you are a developer that knows ASP.NET and Javascript you could use SignalR http://www.asp.net/signalr/overview/...ion-to-signalr it uses websockets to create a persistent client/server connection probably ideal for a realtime chat.

ReputationRep:
    Socket io + Mongo db FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Socket io + Mongo db FTW
    Why on earth would you use Mongo? All the data would be relational...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Push_More_Button)
    Why on earth would you use Mongo? All the data would be relational...
    Yes mongodb is a relational database but what has that got to do with designing a chatting system?

ReputationRep:
    Yes mongodb is a relational database
    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about...
    what has that got to do with designing a chatting system?
    MongoDB is a NoSQL database. You store your data as JSON objects as documents (rows in a relational DB) in collections (tables in a relational DB). You don't have a set schema (table structure in a relational DB) so your documents can take any form you like - it's not necessary for them to be similar in any way. I.e. The documents inside a collection may not have the same data available as each other.

It's an entirely different way of designing and maintaining the database than you will be used to with relational SQL based database systems.

This would be relevant to a chat application because you would (in the most simplistic view) have a table for users and a table for messages. Your messages table would have two columns that would relate to the users table for the sender and recipient of the message. You could have a third table for a group chat/room that the message may have been posted to. All the date is relational so it makes sense to put it in a relational database, not a schemaless NoSQL one.

ReputationRep:
    You could use Asp.net Signal R & for the frontend javascript (possibly Angular js).

ReputationRep:
    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about...

MongoDB is a NoSQL database. You store your data as JSON objects as documents (rows in a relational DB) in collections (tables in a relational DB). You don't have a set schema (table structure in a relational DB) so your documents can take any form you like - it's not necessary for them to be similar in any way. I.e. The documents inside a collection may not have the same data available as each other.

It's an entirely different way of designing and maintaining the database than you will be used to with relational SQL based database systems.

This would be relevant to a chat application because you would (in the most simplistic view) have a table for users and a table for messages. Your messages table would have two columns that would relate to the users table for the sender and recipient of the message. You could have a third table for a group chat/room that the message may have been posted to. All the date is relational so it makes sense to put it in a relational database, not a schemaless NoSQL one.
    You obviously haven't researched into mongodb schema's for chatting system either. I'm not gonna explain the nosql version of a chatting system, that's just 1 quick google search away

edit: I was in a club so this is what I'm talking about. its not exactly rocket science. It's just a matter of preference, and as a mean stack developer, I always go for mongo.

User : new Schema({
    username : { type : String, index : { unique : true } },
    email : { type : String, index : { unique : true } },
    ... etc }),

Room : new Schema({
    name : { type : String, index : { unique : true } },
    slug : { type : String, index : { unique : true } },
    user_id : ObjectId, tags : Array, keywords : [String],
    description : String, upvotes : { type : Number, default : 0 },
    downvotes : { type : Number, default : 0 },
    created : { type : Date, default : Date.now },
    modified : { type : Date, default : Date.now }
    }),

room : { type : String, index : true },
    text : String, username : String, to : ObjectId,
    user_id : String, avatar : String,
    created : { type : Date, default : Date.now },
    modified : { type : Date, default : Date.now }
    })

I dunno what your problem with this is...

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what your problem with this is...
    Because it's relational data. Put it in a relational database...

ReputationRep:
    Because it's relational data. Put it in a relational database...
    but I just showed you how it's done... and it works.

Yes there are some stuff relational databases can do that nosql databses can't do. a chatting application is not one of them

ReputationRep:
    but I just showed you how it's done... and it works.
    Just because you can does not mean you should.

Tell me then, why did you put a separate collection for the messages? Why not an embedded document within rooms?

ReputationRep:
    Just because you can does not mean you should.

Tell me then, why did you put a separate collection for the messages? Why not an embedded document within rooms?
    because each document can be max 16mb

ReputationRep:
    Probably don't need to store the messages with a realtime chat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.