Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I had an interview with Marks & Spencer for a temporary job on 8th July. I thought it went well; the interviewer said she was impressed by my customer service experience, my role play was good and the only negative point was that I forgot to say 'Bye' to the customer in the role play. We chatted as we found out we have some mutual friends, it was really friendly and she showed me the contracts available, asked which one I like the look of, etc. She also mentioned how my uni isn't far away and I could be offered temporary Christmas work - it all sounded positive to me.

Basically, I don't see any huge reason why I wouldn't get the job. But I'm sure she told me they would be letting people know by the 11th.

I know some employers can take a lot longer than they say they will to reach a decision, and I know I wasn't the last person to be interviewed. Do you think I should wait a bit longer? I have a feeling a follow up call might be a good idea, but I'm worried I might bother them or just get 'We haven't decided yet'. Either way, I'd like to know as if I don't get it, I need to keep up the job hunting.

Wait and play it cool, or call and risk looking too eager?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybean_)
    Hi everyone,

I had an interview with Marks & Spencer for a temporary job on 8th July. I thought it went well; the interviewer said she was impressed by my customer service experience, my role play was good and the only negative point was that I forgot to say 'Bye' to the customer in the role play. We chatted as we found out we have some mutual friends, it was really friendly and she showed me the contracts available, asked which one I like the look of, etc. She also mentioned how my uni isn't far away and I could be offered temporary Christmas work - it all sounded positive to me.

Basically, I don't see any huge reason why I wouldn't get the job. But I'm sure she told me they would be letting people know by the 11th.

I know some employers can take a lot longer than they say they will to reach a decision, and I know I wasn't the last person to be interviewed. Do you think I should wait a bit longer? I have a feeling a follow up call might be a good idea, but I'm worried I might bother them or just get 'We haven't decided yet'. Either way, I'd like to know as if I don't get it, I need to keep up the job hunting.

Wait and play it cool, or call and risk looking too eager?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello,

It's now been a full week since your interview, and even I would be slightly worried if they said "we'll let you know by day x" and they hadn't. That happened to me two years ago, but I got the job offer a couple of days afterwards.

I think that, as it has been a full week and they specified by the 11th (as your memory remembers), then you do have a reason to call up the store/manager and ask how the progress has gone on your application. However, I'd give it a couple more days before doing so, just in case

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.