Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Ozil and Khedira were English. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would there have been the same discrimination against them in our press and public as there is in Germany? (Because of their Turkish/Tunisian and Muslim backgrounds)

ReputationRep:
    I know some Germans weren't happy that they don't sing the national anthem, but I wasn't aware they'd really been discriminated against.

And they obviously wouldn't be in England, we'd be delighted to have them play for us. Mohammed Farah is Muslim and was born in Somalia, has he ever had any problems? No. There wouldn't be any problems with Ozil or Khedira either.

ReputationRep:
    We already have Welbeck and Sterling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    We already have Welbeck and Sterling
    Are they even Muslim? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    No but they're Ghanaian and Jamaican, so it's similar

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so, England have a history of playing many different nationalities/ethnicities. We're very much open to that sort of thing. Just look at our cricket team.

Wasn't aware those two were discriminated in Germany. Sad if true. Who gives a damn if they don't sing the national anthem? I saw many players of all different countries who didn't participate in singing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrazyKoala)
    Don't think so, England have a history of playing many different nationalities/ethnicities. We're very much open to that sort of thing. Just look at our cricket team.
    There was some opposition to KP playing for England on the grounds that he is 'South African' but, in my experience, people commentating on the national heritage of cricket players are not usually cricket fans. So I usually hear some silly comment that 'KP should not play for England because he is from South Africa', meanwhile never questioning Owen Hargreaves' inclusion for England for football despite both being born abroad with English parents.

ReputationRep:
    All depends on how successful they are. If Khedira and Ozil were English and won us the World Cup, would the headlines be anything to do with their background? No chance. When England won the 'greatest Ashes ever' in 2005, did anyone care that Pietersen, Strauss etc were South African? No. Now that Pietersen's been dropped, will his South African background start to be questioned? Possibly. All depends on winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    All depends on how successful they are. If Khedira and Ozil were English and won us the World Cup, would the headlines be anything to do with their background? No chance. When England won the 'greatest Ashes ever' in 2005, did anyone care that Pietersen, Strauss etc were South African? No. Now that Pietersen's been dropped, will his South African background start to be questioned? Possibly. All depends on winning.
    Do you consider Owen Hargreaves to be Canadian then? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Do you consider Owen Hargreaves to be Canadian then? Just curious.
    Yes. But he was eligible to play for England and I have no problem with him choosing to play for England.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the Swiss national team, only three players are actually Swiss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Yes. But he was eligible to play for England and I have no problem with him choosing to play for England.
    Kevin Pietersen is eligible to play for the England cricket team under the same criteria as Owen Hargreaves did for the England football team - English parent(s). I can only think of one former cricket player who wasn't eligible to play for England but was accepted and that was Basil D'Oliveira. And what sort of person would have denied him playing international cricket given that his country disowned him? Even if players qualify by residency rules only, I don't see them as foreign. If Victor Moses had declared an interest in playing for England I doubt people would have been outraged by his perceived lack of 'Englishness'. At least Victor Moses has spent a significant time of living in the country, which may not apply to players born abroad with English (grand)parent(s).

Besides, Matt Le Tissier and Graeme Le Saux have played for England having been born outside of the sovereignty of the United Kingdom so you can't even use Eoin Morgan and Ed Joyce as examples of foreigners for cricket players and I suspect Eoin Morgan would have qualified under residency rules having been schooled in London. Makes a change from Ireland losing out rather than gaining sport players choosing to represent them though.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)

(Original post by manchesterunited15)
    No but they're Ghanaian and Jamaican, so it's similar
    I am pretty sure Raheem Sterling is Muslim btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    I am pretty sure Raheem Sterling is Muslim btw.
    He has a Muslim name but he is actually a Christian.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.