Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are most men capable of rape in some circumstances? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So anyway I've been reading about the soviet mass rapes in WW2. Here are some numbers :

The majority of the assaults were committed in the Soviet occupation zone; estimates of the numbers of German women raped by Soviet soldiers ranged up to 2 million. In many cases women were the victims of repeated rapes, some as many as 60 to 70 times.

At least 100,000 women are believed to have been raped in Berlin, based on surging abortion rates in the following months and contemporary hospital reports,with an estimated 10,000 women dying in the aftermath.

Female deaths in connection with the rapes in Germany, overall, are estimated at 240,000. Antony Beevor describes it as the "greatest phenomenon of mass rape in history", and has concluded that at least 1.4 million women were raped in East Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia alone.

Natalya Gesse states that Russian soldiers raped German females from eight to eighty years old. Russian women were not spared either.

When Yugoslav politician Milovan Djilas complained about rapes in Yugoslavia, Stalin reportedly stated that he should "understand it if a soldier who has crossed thousands of kilometres through blood and fire and death has fun with a woman or takes some trifle." On another occasion, when told that Red Army soldiers sexually maltreated German refugees, he reportedly said: "We lecture our soldiers too much; let them have their initiative."

I mean this is nothing new, it's been going on since the advent of war. When an army conquered a city they could do pretty much what they wanted. Spoils of war included women, in fact I believe they were the main ''spoil'' in many cases. So the question is are most men capable of rape in the right circumstances? If you type in ''punishment'' into google the first search that comes up is ''for rape''. All the other searches are not even related to a crime. Hmmm.....

ReputationRep:
    We know from history and experiments (e.g. Millgram) that a majority of people are capable of the most heinous crimes under duress and if socially conditioned.

So to answer your OP: yes, they are. But most wouldn't, and don't, in the normal circumstances of life.

ReputationRep:
    That's so disturbing...

ReputationRep:
    Everybody is capable of rape, not just men

ReputationRep:
    I think it's obvious that men are capable of rape, just like we are all capable of murder. I could go out and smack somebody round the head with a brick and keep hitting them until their brains went everywhere. I know the logic of it, that would kill somebody, and if they weren't expecting it and I hit them hard enough I would be successful. But I don't do that, because I both know that it is wrong, and I have no motivation to do such a thing. I think that if one is motivated to do so they are capable of some pretty awful things.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this question is limited to rape. I tend to take the view that crimes say less about specific individuals and more about their environment. Philip Zimbardo (the man who conducted the Stanford prison experiment) has done research in this area and calls it the Lucifer effect.

Essentially, when depraved actions are freed from consequences (e.g. social condemnation, etc.) - or even worse when they are socially normalised - people are generally capable of crimes. Conformity is a much stronger pressure than the want to be moral. Indeed often I think the want to be moral is actually motivated by conformity.

There are contemporary examples such as Abu Graib and historical ones such as fighting for the Nazis or owning slaves. Essentially, I think people grossly over-estimate their inclination to behave morally when the social scaffolding promoting moral actions are removed.

I would say that the vast majority of people are capable of rape and worse crimes given a scenario which sufficiently encouraged it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messalina)
    I think it's obvious that men are capable of rape, just like we are all capable of murder. I could go out and smack somebody round the head with a brick and keep hitting them until their brains went everywhere. I know the logic of it, that would kill somebody, and if they weren't expecting it and I hit them hard enough I would be successful. But I don't do that, because I both know that it is wrong, and I have no motivation to do such a thing. I think that if one is motivated to do so they are capable of some pretty awful things.
    This.

There would be a lot more crime if laws didn't exist in my opinion, by people motivated to do them without the risk of punishment.

Chimpanzees, and toddlers are proof of this as they usually can't control their anger or desires.

ReputationRep:
    of course most men are capable of rape in particular circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    As for the Soviet case in Germany, it's almost unique because you have to remember that an enormous amount of the soldiers who were marauding through Germany had experienced absolute horror at the hands of an immensely destructive and equally barbaric German war machine during Barbarossa and the earlier WWII stages when they were being pushed back the other way. Many had family members and comrades who had been raped and murdered by the German Wehrmacht and SS during their initial onslaught and occupation.

On top of that, Stalinist propaganda had almost brainwashed the country into believing that all Germans were just as brutal as their more radical and sadistic military wings, and that all of them were part of the atrocities and supported the fascist scum government which they already hated because of the aforementioned crimes against them. So when they started going through Germany, there was probably a "Right, these *******s did this to my family and I, so It's payback time." on top of perhaps a misguided feeling that it was their right to claim what they wished as victory spoils.

I think every man is capable of it given the right circumstances, and no glimmering personality or sense of honour will stop them when the red mist descends.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the situation. I'm guessing it's alot easier to convince yourself it's ok when it's already happened dozens of times to the victim already, you've got the chance of being shot in the head or bombed any moment, your friends are there egging you on, you've not had any rest or relaxation in months, you've been surrounded by the dead, dying and death for as long as you care to remember and there's little in way of relief. Oh and the victim has been repeatedly dehumanized and become the focal point of all your anger and aggression at the enemy.

Though you say most like it couldn't be a minority (Russia had upwards of 2.5 million soldiers in Berlin at the start of the battle for Berlin) I'm guessing that the rapists didn't just rape once and then never again, I expect it could happen 2-5 times a day for several months 1 person could perpetrate 500 rapes? 100,000 women average of 45 times each, 4.5 million rapes only requires 9000 soldiers. A much smaller number than 'the majority'. That's only 0.36% of the soldiers in Berlin raping. High guesses are that 4.5% of men are rapists who have raped or do rape women. Even if that number was 10 times higher that'd still not be the majority and you'd have expected this type of thing to have been more widely known and talked about.

I think in the end, yes, there were MANY rapes happening... but it was the minority of men doing it, most just ignored it when it was encountered which was rare... I doubt you'd want your mates to know you're a rapist as I expect some men might accidentally get shot during a fire fight... I know I might 'accidentally' shoot an ally if I knew he was a rapist even if they were the enemy. Were some women dragged out in the streets and raped, yes, did everyone join in, no.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it the result of the brake down of rules, when you have been brutalized by war and know that the enemy are sub human it brings out the worse in people.

But ye... it's scary that people are capable of stuff like that :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.