Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I have a place on a Shakespeare MA starting in September. Yay! But the problem is, in the six months since I made the application, I've realised that I'm equally, if not more, interested in Medieval literature. I'm staying on at my undergrad university and have been told by my tutors that there's a lot of flexibility in changing course, so I could email them and say I wanted to switch to the Medieval programme instead, that's all fine. I could also do a more general 'Literature' MA and take modules from both programmes. I'm trying to decide if this is a good idea or not.

One of the main motivating factors in this decision is that I almost definitely want to move onto PhD study after the MA, and I have a really strong gut feeling that I'd be happier researching Medieval literature than anything to do with Shakespeare.

So really, my question is this. If I want to keep the option of a Medieval-based PhD open for myself, would I absolutely have to have studied that topic at MA level? Would any university fund a PhD that was unrelated to the person's MA? Just for a bit of context, I have done a lot of Medieval stuff during my undergraduate degree and it's one of my high-scoring areas when it comes to results.

Hopefully this will help me make a decision before term starts - thank you in advance for any help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.