Isn't Maggie Thatcher the greatest feminist symbol ever?

Watch
StevieA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
She climbed to the very top without affirmative action and quotas when there were even fewer women in power than today. And she stayed there for a while. She never acted like a victim or expected extra wheels to her bike for being a woman. Exactly what feminists want , right? So why this then :

(Original post by MAGGIE)
‘The feminists hate me, don’t they? And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison.’
Why do feminists hate her? You couldn't find a better poster girl!
ldsbabe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow so many misogynists on this board. Your tone is awful.
StevieA
Rep:
?
(Original post by ldsbabe)
Wow so many misogynists on this board. Your tone is awful.
What exactly was misogynistic in my post? I don't agree with Thatcher on many things but she was great at politics and she got to be PM on her own merits.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She believed in individual success, not group success, hence her disdain for feminism, which seeks to improve the status of women as a group, rather than people as individuals.
username878045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by StevieA)
What exactly was misogynistic in my post? I don't agree with Thatcher on many things but she was great at politics and she got to be PM on her own merits.
I can't speak for Idsbabe, but maybe it was the assumption that feminists should celebrate a woman not having men hold her hand, rather than celebrating not having men hold her back.
BoyWithTheThorn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not exactly, Thatcher herself had little enthusiasm for feminism and claimed to be more proud to be the first scientist PM than the first female PM.
StevieA
Rep:
?
(Original post by PythianLegume)
I can't speak for Idsbabe, but maybe it was the assumption that feminists should celebrate a woman not having men hold her hand, rather than celebrating not having men hold her back.

She achieved the top position in the country in a time when men were much more dominant than today and she did it without any female quotas and lists. She proved a woman could do it even back then if she's good enough and has the drive. To have quotas or any extra wheels for women today is insulting to women. If feminists believe that then they are the ones thinking women are inferior beings who need extra help to compete against men.

Did she need feminism? Did she need quotas? Did she have a perpetual victim mentality? Let's hear it from her:

username878045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She achieved the top position in the country in a time when men were much more dominant than today and she did it without any female quotas and lists. She proved a woman could do it even back then if she's good enough and has the drive. To have quotas or any extra wheels for women today is insulting to women. If feminists believe that then they are the ones thinking women are inferior beings who need extra help to compete against men.
Most feminists I know hate the idea of quotas and affirmative action, for those reasons. Without rises in feminism and women like Emily Davies, Thatcher would never have had the opportunity to reach into the circles she did and acquire the influence she had. A few years before, she wouldn't have been allowed in university.

Moreover, what I was criticising was your assumption that a woman succeeding was a woman who didn't need men to hold her hand. You assume that for most to be successful, they do need male help, rather than the removal of male hindrance.
Annaaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In theory, yes considering how and when she came into power. However, she also did her best to distance herself from women's lib (when really speaking, she owed a lot to it) and I suppose that was kind of a slap in the face to feminism.

Also, considering what her attitude to feminism is then I doubt that she would've wanted to be regarded as a feminist icon. So no, she wasn't a feminist icon, more of hindrance to it.
StevieA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annaaaa)
In theory, yes considering how and when she came into power. However, she also did her best to distance herself from women's lib (when really speaking, she owed a lot to it) and I suppose that was kind of a slap in the face to feminism.

Also, considering what her attitude to feminism is then I doubt that she would've wanted to be regarded as a feminist icon. So no, she wasn't a feminist icon, more of hindrance to it.
My point is this : the reason there aren't ''enough'' female CEO's, engineers or whatever other desirable positions feminists spend all their time crying about is because women don't want to be those things for a various number of reasons. If she could do it back then there is nothing stopping a woman from doing it today.

The most super liberal/progressive countries like Sweden (which is basically a ''feminocracy'') or Norway have some of the most unequal outcomes in the world when we talk about what the genders choose to study, work or how they live their lives. And all this despite being brainwashed from day 1 into thinking that gender is constructed by society.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Nope. Minnie Mouse is.
the_lost_boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She climbed to the very top without affirmative action and quotas when there were even fewer women in power than today. And she stayed there for a while. She never acted like a victim or expected extra wheels to her bike for being a woman. Exactly what feminists want , right? So why this then :

Why do feminists hate her? You couldn't find a better poster girl!
In that case, why don't you Men's Rights activists all revere Hitler? He was a loser who climbed to the top in spite of the fact that he wasn't rich or alpha. I bet he was even an incel for a time. He never acted like a victim.

Feminists don't care for Maggie because most feminists are of the liberal persuasion. Even you must know that. Liberals aren't fond of people who protect child abusers. Beyond that, she didn't keep her contempt for feminism a secret.

Also, she screwed over the Irish so anyone who is Irish or has Irish ancestry hates her. Also, anyone who was the victim of the unemployment crisis she caused probably isn't to fond of her. Anyone who is working class or has compassion for the working class would hate her. Oh, and she helped to contribute to and uphold apartheid in South Africa. Anyone Cambodian also isn't a fan of her, as she supported the Khmer Rouge. etc etc etc

Basically... she was Satan in a dress.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
sasha grey is
the_lost_boy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
sasha grey is
I agree that Sasha Grey is more of a feminist than old Mags. Plus, she's a lot easier on the eyes.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by the_lost_boy)
I agree that Sasha Grey is more of a feminist than old Mags. Plus, she's a lot easier on the eyes.
no no I mean she was a better display of women in society than maggie was
the_lost_boy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no no I mean she was a better display of women in society than maggie was
Could you rephrase that so it makes sense.

Display of women...?

Attached files
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could you rephrase that so it makes sense.

Display of women...?

she is on display in society in the form of naughty videos though
the_lost_boy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
she is on display in society in the form of naughty videos though
I can't link that here, can I?

In all seriousness, Sasha Grey is less destructive than Thatcher. She isn't anti-woman.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't link that here, can I?

In all seriousness, Sasha Grey is less destructive than Thatcher. She isn't anti-woman.
I think I'll get away with this (if the mods don't hate my ****ing guts; warning: naughty image incoming):
Spoiler:
Show

and I don't necessarily think margaret thatcther was actively against her own gender; after all, she did say things which were kind of like the feminist field of thought today e.g. "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." (e.g. almost to say "men ain't ****, women are better" etc
the_lost_boy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think I'll get away with this (if the mods don't hate my ****ing guts; warning: naughty image incoming):
Spoiler:
Show

and I don't necessarily think margaret thatcther was actively against her own gender; after all, she did say things which were kind of like the feminist field of thought today e.g. "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." (e.g. almost to say "men ain't ****, women are better" etc
Calling men useless isn't real feminism. Thatcher wasn't male or female... Thatcher was a malignant, demonic entity. Not the sexy kind of demonic either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (9)
15.25%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (14)
23.73%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
6.78%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
13.56%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
6.78%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
30.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.39%

Watched Threads