Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for putting contact lenses in? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Had an appointment about getting contact lenses at Specsavers and I'm starting a free trial. Optician put monthly ones then showed me how to take them out and put them back in. I took them out again but couldnt put them back in and my right eye was turning red due to irritation so had to book another appointment.

I find it difficult to keep my eyes open whilst putting them in or getting them out. What are some good tips? I obviously hold each eyelid but the natural thing for my eye to do is to close just as I'm about to touch my eye, it's very annoying and I don't know how to get around it. Should I just give up if I struggle again in the 2nd appointment? I don't see the point in keep going back when I don't seem to get the hang of it, it's embarrassing when I keep making the same mistake even though the optician tells me not to and I try not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    Had an appointment about getting contact lenses at Specsavers and I'm starting a free trial. Optician put monthly ones then showed me how to take them out and put them back in. I took them out again but couldnt put them back in and my right eye was turning red due to irritation so had to book another appointment.

I find it difficult to keep my eyes open whilst putting them in or getting them out. What are some good tips? I obviously hold each eyelid but the natural thing for my eye to do is to close just as I'm about to touch my eye, it's very annoying and I don't know how to get around it. Should I just give up if I struggle again in the 2nd appointment? I don't see the point in keep going back when I don't seem to get the hang of it, it's embarrassing when I keep making the same mistake even though the optician tells me not to and I try not to.
    Firstly, do not worry. I looked like a right idiot when I was being taught how to put them in during my appointment at Specsavers. It took me almost 45 minutes lol. My eyes got watery and everything. Once I got home it took me 20 minutes to put it in correctly the first time but nowadays it takes me about a second only.

If your eyes are red then take a rest, you have irritated your eyes. Take a wet teabag, preferably warm and put it over the affected eye(s) for 15 minutes. Once done, remove it and wait about an hour and your eyes should feel a bit better. Try putting them in:

1) Use your ring finger to pull (lightly) your eyes down so there is enough space to put your contacts in.
    2) Now use your middle finger to put the contacts in.
    3) Once in, close your eyes for a few seconds, move your eyeball around to allow the contact lens to take place and you should be done.

If this doesn't work the first time then simply repeat. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    With me, I like to use two hands and a mirror. It depends whether you are left or right handed as well. i'm left handed and i use my right middle finger and left index finger to open the eye. Then with the contact lens on my right index finger, look into the mirror and press and rub on your pupil gently. Then let go, blink and look around so the lens takes its place. Make sure the lenses are considerably wet as they will go into your eye smoother.
    Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.