Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Under eating: can I lose weight quicker by eating more Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently trying to make a good meal plan to help me with my fitness and weigh loss goals (want to be strong and *lean*). this new meal plan will be in addition to my current cardio and weightlifting sessions. My maintenance calories are ~2800, and I plan on eating 80%, ~2300 calories, for my meal plan (I'm cutting).

While I've been head banging on how I'm supposed to make a healthy diet, I've been under feeding, ~1000-1500 or so I.e 1 or 2 footlongs from subway (not starving though). My diet was similar during exam season also, where I've been eating very little food.

For the last couple months I've been focusing on trying to get lean but I haven't really seen any noticeable difference. When I do start my meal plan, and hence will actually be eating more (80% of my maintenance) than I usually do, will this really help me lose some body fat?

I've heard that when eating too little, the body tends to cling on to the fat, but despite this it still feels counter intuitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    Currently trying to make a good meal plan to help me with my fitness and weigh loss goals (want to be strong and *lean*). this new meal plan will be in addition to my current cardio and weightlifting sessions. My maintenance calories are ~2800, and I plan on eating 80%, ~2300 calories, for my meal plan (I'm cutting).

While I've been head banging on how I'm supposed to make a healthy diet, I've been under feeding, ~1000-1500 or so I.e 1 or 2 footlongs from subway (not starving though). My diet was similar during exam season also, where I've been eating very little food.

For the last couple months I've been focusing on trying to get lean but I haven't really seen any noticeable difference. When I do start my meal plan, and hence will actually be eating more (80% of my maintenance) than I usually do, will this really help me lose some body fat?

I've heard that when eating too little, the body tends to cling on to the fat, but despite this it still feels counter intuitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only way to find out.

Are you already a low bodyfat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Only way to find out.

Are you already a low bodyfat?
    No, approximately ~15% give or take.

I'm trying to get into the single figures as *efficiently* as possible. Ideally, it would be nice not to e.g waste several months only to find out under eating only had a small impact. I would much rather like to spend those months improving factors that have a higher impact on my goals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    No, approximately ~15% give or take.

I'm trying to get into the single figures as *efficiently* as possible. Ideally, it would be nice not to e.g waste several months only to find out under eating only had a small impact. I would much rather like to spend those months improving factors that have a higher impact on my goals

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eat 500 calories below maintenance imo, so you lose 1lb a week. That doesn't fit in with your efficiency goals, but you also mention that you want to be strong. If you cut too drastically, you will indeed lose mass quicker, at the expense of your muscle, and strength.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.