Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick question about Y1 maths. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what I could do to prepare for Y1 maths at uni (russell group ).

I had a quick look on the website and here are the modules:

Combinatorics (whatever the hell that is)
    Algebra
    Mechanics
    Stats
    Analysis & calculus
    linear algebra vectors+geometry

I've been on a gap year so I lost a bit of my knowledge but I've gone over what I knew from before and that's what I've got to work with (pretty poor tbh)

I've looked at bridging the gap to uni maths and read a few things on proofs and how to write uni maths and was wondering if there was anything else I could do over the next few months.

I did FM at college if that helps.

I want to do something so I'm back in the swing of it but I have no clue to start or even how to start, I'm honestly tempted to do no maths between now and october (has anyone done this????) I just have a feeling I'm going to be incredibly out of my depth when I start.

Any advice/help is appreciated thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex2100x)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridging-Uni.../dp/1848002890

ReputationRep:
    hi thanks for the reply, I've read through this book loosely and think I grasp most of the concepts in there at a basic level.

I did further maths so would I be okay to just skim through that again and make sure I'm alright with it before I head to uni.

I just think the transition is going to be difficult for me but I don't really see much I can do now (at least I can't see a clear direction or focus I should take)

ReputationRep:
    hi thanks for the reply, I've read through this book loosely and think I grasp most of the concepts in there at a basic level.

I did further maths so would I be okay to just skim through that again and make sure I'm alright with it before I head to uni.

I just think the transition is going to be difficult for me but I don't really see much I can do now (at least I can't see a clear direction or focus I should take)
    I would certainly do something

Was FM part of your offer or are you going to a university that does not require it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what I could do to prepare for Y1 maths at uni (russell group ).

I had a quick look on the website and here are the modules:

Combinatorics (whatever the hell that is)
    Algebra
    Mechanics
    Stats
    Analysis & calculus
    linear algebra vectors+geometry

I've been on a gap year so I lost a bit of my knowledge but I've gone over what I knew from before and that's what I've got to work with (pretty poor tbh)

I've looked at bridging the gap to uni maths and read a few things on proofs and how to write uni maths and was wondering if there was anything else I could do over the next few months.

I did FM at college if that helps.

I want to do something so I'm back in the swing of it but I have no clue to start or even how to start, I'm honestly tempted to do no maths between now and october (has anyone done this????) I just have a feeling I'm going to be incredibly out of my depth when I start.

Combinatorics is kinda like the maths of counting things. You may have done some combinatorics-like questions in S1 - e.g. how many different ways can you arrange things.

I suggest going through C1-C4 again and also the Further Pure modules. Definitely make sure you are comfortable with all of the differentiation and integration you do in core maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    I would certainly do something

Was FM part of your offer or are you going to a university that does not require it

It is not required for the course, I'm guessing maybe 50% of people will have taken it up to at least AS but I have the full A-level so at least I will be familiar with matrices and complex numbers (although I've only just scratched the surface)

I'm getting conflicting opinions, some people are saying go and read book x,y,z and do lots of new things so you have seen them when you start, others are saying just make sure you are comfortable with c1-c4 and fp1/fp2 and you can pick everything else up later as non of that is going to assumed.

There isn't a reading list so I'm guessing they are not looking for too much out of students before they arrive but I had a gap year so I may have forgotten a few things.

Any advice is appreciated thanks!

ReputationRep:

Any advice is appreciated thanks!
    My daughter found the book I linked useful - she also took her FP books with her to "swot up" as she needed

The book linked or FP books would be useful to "go through" before you start - you will want to feel "familiar" with the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Combinatorics is kinda like the maths of counting things. You may have done some combinatorics-like questions in S1 - e.g. how many different ways can you arrange things.

I suggest going through C1-C4 again and also the Further Pure modules. Definitely make sure you are comfortable with all of the differentiation and integration you do in core maths.
    Yeah thanks, I'm pretty comfortable with most of what I did in core and further modules I can do any a-level standard integration but I'm a little out of practise to be honest but I could get back up to scratch within a couple of days, I got A's varying from around 85-95 ums in all but 2 modules so I'm pretty confident.

I just don't like looking at the A-level stuff because I have 0 clue where a lot of the stuff comes from I just know how to apply the stuff. (which is part of the reason I wanted to do maths at uni because I was told you go back to basics and it is very rigorous rather than just being given results and not needing/being shown where they came from )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    My daughter found the book I linked useful - she also took her FP books with her to "swot up" as she needed

The book linked or FP books would be useful to "go through" before you start - you will want to feel "familiar" with the content
    Okay I will just go through the a-level stuff again and look at some of the questions calculus and geometry.

Would you recommend looking at anything else that isn't on the a-level syllabus (sets, logic, etc) before I start or not?

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend looking at anything else that isn't on the a-level syllabus (sets, logic, etc) before I start or not?
    They do expect to teach you from the benchmark of confident knowledge of A level material - I'm not sure anyone would need to read up on anything to begin university, just retain their sharpness and accuracy.

If you really have to read something then I'd suggest "A concise introduction to pure mathematics" by Liebeck. It will contain material you are sure to see in your first year (the basics of set theory, number theory, and some analysis) and it will be presented to you exactly how uni will. That is, in a Theorem-Proof style, with a few paragraphs here and there explaining the finer points, examples, motivating what comes next, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.