Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group A SF1: Shawshank Redemption VOne Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest Watch

• View Poll Results: group A: Semi Final 1
    1. The Shawshank Redemption
    57.14%
    4. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Next
    42.86%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    Perhaps the most famous cinematic disappointment ever, The Shawshank Redemption made up for it's poor box office with a second wind on home release based almost solely on word of mouth, catapulting it to the top of many people's film lists. Spanning decades, the film looks at life in prison and a blossoming friendship between the prison's fixer and a man convinced of his own innocence.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    Milos Forman's Oscar darling (it is tied with Silence of the Lambs and It Happened One Night for winning the five main Academy Awards), One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest uses it's insane asylum as a backdrop for making powerful statements about the wider culture. With memorable characters and a powerful performance from Jack Nicholson, the film has retained its bite throughout the decades.

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Voted for the former as it's more famous.
    Dislike both movies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to vote

Cuckoo's win of all five major Academy Awards is one of the few times they've got it right.

ReputationRep:
    As with American Beauty, I expect the better film to lose.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Shawshank would walk this. I voted One Flew... it's 6 all! :eek:

Kinda want Shawshank to win though because that's how I went for the guessing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I thought Shawshank would walk this. I voted One Flew... it's 6 all! :eek:

Kinda want Shawshank to win though because that's how I went for the guessing...

I just tipped it slightly in the favour of Shawshank but imagine the upset if Shawshank went out now! :eek:

7-6 as it stands atm.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Love both but I would go for The Shawshank Redemption
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Shawshank is sneaking into the lead with 16-11.

Shawshank is just one of those films I can watch over and over again. A true classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Looks like Shawshank is sneaking into the lead with 16-11.

Shawshank is just one of those films I can watch over and over again. A true classic.
    Up to 17-11. Looks like balance has been restored to the universe once again.

Shawshank is winning a best movie contest.

I've only ever watched Shawshank once but would like to watch again in future.

ReputationRep:
    Shawshank is undoubtedly a fine film, but it's auto-acceptance as "one of the greatest movies ever" does still baffle me.
    It's good, very good even ... but it's not that good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Shawshank is undoubtedly a fine film, but it's auto-acceptance as "one of the greatest movies ever" does still baffle me.

Once a film gets up there everyone thinks it's a great film and it'll stay up there since people will know it's supposed to be great so vote for it by default.

ReputationRep:
    In total agreement on this one. Cuckoo's Nest is vastly superior imho. However I probably predicted Shawshank to win this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zappaisgod)
    In total agreement on this one. Cuckoo's Nest is vastly superior imho. However I probably predicted Shawshank to win this one.

Same. On one hand it'd be cool to see Shawshank go out but also i predicted it getting to the overall final.

ReputationRep:
    Only 7 votes in it atm. Closer fight than i was expecting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Only 7 votes in it atm. Closer fight than i was expecting!
    Yes, I agree. Although there is a slightly depressing inevitability about the outcome.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.