Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group B SF2: It's a Wonderful Life v Eternal Sunshine watch

• View Poll Results: Group B: Semi Final 2
    2. It's a Wonderful Life
    51.72%
    6. Eternal Sunshine
    48.28%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    As much of a Christmas staple as the Great Escape, It's A Wonderful Life stars James Stewart as a man poised to commit suicide on Christmas Eve but is interrupted by a guardian angel who shows him all the positive effects his life has had. One of the biggest initial flops on the list and a turning point in Frank Capra's career away from the studio darling he once was, the film has later gone on to be widely acknowledged as a classic.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
    "Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders". When Joel finds out his ex-girlfriend no longer remembers him, he investigates and discovers that there is a company who can erase memories. Yet as the memories starts to fade, he sees the good alongside the bad and wants to hold on. But can he save his memories of Clementine, or will she be lost forever? Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet star in this poignant drama which leaves the viewer pondering for days.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wonderful Life, but not with much enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    For me, the weakest and least interesting match-up of the round. I have to vote in favour of the classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    For me, the weakest and least interesting match-up of the round. I have to vote in favour of the classic.

:yawn: My thoughts exactly tbh.

Whichever gets through is going to be absolutely destroyed next round by BTTF anyway.

(Or Forrest gump but sshhh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    :yawn: My thoughts exactly tbh.

Whichever gets through is going to be absolutely destroyed next round by BTTF anyway.

(Or Forrest gump but sshhh)
    Yep, it's a shame the IMDb seedings fell as they did, as whoever finishes runner up in this group is now (IMO) likely to get blasted in the round of 16.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's a shame the IMDb seedings fell as they did, as whoever finishes runner up in this group is now (IMO) likely to get blasted in the round of 16.
    Yea but at least it'll be interesting and an easy last 16 match for whomever they're against.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my all time favourite films, it raises so many questions about life and memories and is so interesting! It HAS to win!

ReputationRep:
    Eternal Sunshine, still one of my favourites. I don't think it makes sense just to vote for It's a Wonderful Life just because it's a classic. The only reason Eternal Sunshine isn't is because it's not old enough yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Eternal Sunshine, still one of my favourites. I don't think it makes sense just to vote for It's a Wonderful Life just because it's a classic. The only reason Eternal Sunshine isn't is because it's not old enough yet
    My guess is, and I could be wrong, that hardly anyone will have heard of Eternal Sunshine in x decades. Of course that could be said for a fair few on here, however it doesn't feel like a future 'classic' to me.
    Subjective opinion, I know.

ReputationRep:
    My guess is, and I could be wrong, that hardly anyone will have heard of Eternal Sunshine in x decades. Of course that could be said for a fair few on here, however it doesn't feel like a future 'classic' to me.
    Subjective opinion, I know.
    I reckon I will remember it in decades to come. I just love Charlie Kaufman as a screenwriter, this along with Being John Malkovich, Synechdoche New York and particularly Adaptation are some of my favourite films. The popularity of A Wonderful Life is partly down to tradition with it being a Christmas movie and one people might watch every year, though it is undoubtably a very good film.

ReputationRep:
    Very close poll! Only 2 votes in it atm!

ReputationRep:
    Only 1 vote now. It would be ironic if the vote we cared least about went to sudden death!

ReputationRep:
    Only 1 vote now. It would be ironic if the vote we cared least about went to sudden death!

Yea, would be anticlimactic as we wouldn't care either way. :lol:

This poll should be "Who is going to definitely get their ass kicked by either FG or BTTF next round?" shame BTTF and FG both can't make it through. Those evil seedings!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Come on Eternal Sunshine!!

ReputationRep:
    Just voted It's a Wonderful Life to make it 14 all :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    Just voted It's a Wonderful Life to make it 14 all :eek:
    Ooooo ooooo Ooo, both group b matches are tied up atm. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And we have our first tiebreaker. Waiting for the next vote to decide it atm...

ReputationRep:
    And it's a wonderful life wins 15-14 in the first tiebreaker playoff of the tournament.

I am now off to bed. will deal with results/updates in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever did the deciding vote :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Whoever did the deciding vote :adore:
    Looks like someone was waiting to cast their vote!
    P.S. not me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.