Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do I stand a chance of getting accepted for a MFL PGCE with no second language? My degree is in French and I have basic self taught German but nothing to show for it. What are my chances? I have a first and have done a few weeks work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanB)
    Do I stand a chance of getting accepted for a MFL PGCE with no second language? My degree is in French and I have basic self taught German but nothing to show for it. What are my chances? I have a first and have done a few weeks work experience.
    Hi,

There were several people on my PGCE last year who only had one language. French is still the most widely taught language in most areas although Spanish is catching up.

Given that MFL is classed as a shortage subject, provided you write a good personal statement and perform OK at interview, I wouldn't have thought it would hurt your chances that much.

Would you be willing to consider a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course? I applied for a Secondary French PGCE and was encouraged to go on a 2-week Spanish SKE course in the summer before starting the PGCE. This was aimed at beginners and people who knew a few basics, although I did actually have GCSE Spanish already (just very rusty).

Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Hi,

There were several people on my PGCE last year who only had one language. French is still the most widely taught language in most areas although Spanish is catching up.

Given that MFL is classed as a shortage subject, provided you write a good personal statement and perform OK at interview, I wouldn't have thought it would hurt your chances that much.

Would you be willing to consider a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course? I applied for a Secondary French PGCE and was encouraged to go on a 2-week Spanish SKE course in the summer before starting the PGCE. This was aimed at beginners and people who knew a few basics, although I did actually have GCSE Spanish already (just very rusty).

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know I'm in with a chance. I'd definitely be willing to a a SKE course, but I didn't know whether it was realistic if I'd even get that far!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Only 2 weeks? :eek: Mine lasts for 12 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Only 2 weeks? :eek: Mine lasts for 12 weeks.
    Is that 12 weeks full-time? My 2 week course was full-time, so quite intensive.

So did you just have to drop everything else in order to do the course? I was working full-time in a school when I was offered my place on the PGCE, so I only had the 6 weeks holiday plus an extra week in September before the course started.

ReputationRep:
    Is that 12 weeks full-time? My 2 week course was full-time, so quite intensive.

So did you just have to drop everything else in order to do the course? I was working full-time in a school when I was offered my place on the PGCE, so I only had the 6 weeks holiday plus an extra week in September before the course started.
    It is from 10am-15pm plus home work so I guess it is full-time. I was not working so I did not drop anything. But no one in my course is holding a job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.