Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Church of England vote to allow women bishops Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Momentous moment, just breaking now.

There were cheers when it was announced.

Has the church's reputation improved as a result, or will it never recover from members blocking the move in 2012.

Should parliament have intervened before or should the Church of England be able to decide its own fate?

ReputationRep:
    Even as an agnostic i think this is retarded
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Even as an agnostic i think this is retarded
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    How?
    Because more and more basic religious principles are being watered down or simply discarded because of modern political correctness. Just get rid of religion altogether if you're going to modify a basic rule or command every 5 years. Like a vegan saying if I eat fish it's not so bad cause they don't feel pain anyway the next year I can eat a frog because they're amphibious then next year.... See what I mean? As horrific as islam is I admire them for sticking to their guns.

ReputationRep:
    It was inevitable once they allowed priestesses
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    Momentous moment, just breaking now.

There were cheers when it was announced.

Has the church's reputation improved as a result, or will it never recover from members blocking the move in 2012.

Should parliament have intervened before or should the Church of England be able to decide its own fate?
    Happy days!!!

Why shouldn't women be bishops? It's hardly going to bring about the end of the world as we know it. Society has moved on since the Bible was written and Christianity would do well to advance with it.

BTW I was raised Catholic but now consider myself of no religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    I thought it would happen one day once women were ordained as priests. Regardless, much more unites all Christians than divides them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Why did you edit all of it? It was spot on. Anyway, this reminds me of the South Park Easter episode when the clergy men decide they know what God wants better than Jesus himself does.
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    Why did you edit all of it? It was spot on. Anyway, this reminds me of the South Park Easter episode when the clergy men decide they know what God wants better than Jesus himself does.
    Jesus never treated women as inferior.

ReputationRep:
    Because more and more basic religious principles are being watered down or simply discarded because of modern political correctness. Just get rid of religion altogether if you're going to modify a basic rule or command every 5 years. Like a vegan saying if I eat fish it's not so bad cause they don't feel pain anyway the next year I can eat a frog because they're amphibious then next year.... See what I mean? As horrific as islam is I admire them for sticking to their guns.
    That's right, throw the baby out with the bathwater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatDisneyObsess)
    Jesus never treated women as inferior.
    I know. Who were the only people that didn't abandon Jesus when he was arrested and then crucified? Women. Every single man acted like a coward and wanted nothing to do with him even though deep down they knew he was Christ. Who does he reveal himself the first time after resurrection? Women. That gives you an insight about how women are seen as the superior moral and ethical authority in Christianity. This is seen throughout western history : the statue of liberty, the french revolution symbol and the justice is blind statue are all women and it's not a coincidence. Symbols associated with fairness, morality and what is right are almost always women. The message is clear : women are morally superior to men and are here to maintain the balance. Men and women are not the same but they complete each other, whether we're talking about family or society.

ReputationRep:
    Really? The fact that Islam has not been watered down in the same way as Christianity means it is still stuck in the dark ages, and so are many Islamic countries. A watered down Islam would mean better human rights for millions of people around the world.

ReputationRep:
    bear™ restrained his indignation

ReputationRep:
    Some may say it destroys tradition, and that women seldom make convincing/commanding leaders/preachers, but at least bringing wenches in on the action will reduce the rate of churchy-child molestation :hippie: (srs)

As horrific as islam is I admire them for sticking to their guns.
    Pun intended? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

Pun intended? :laugh:
    not at all. I didn't say bombs, did i? I am quite drunk if i may say so...

ReputationRep:
    "There were cheers when it was announced."? I watched the video of it being announced; there was one cheer and a ripple of applause.

Frankly, it barely changes my opinion of the Church. There are so many fabulous members, but I disagree with them on many things, and wish them to lose all voting and voicing rights in the House of Lords, as our democratic structures should reflect the secular nature of our society.

ReputationRep:
    Wait. why is Islam horrific?

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I guess its a good thing. I do see what people are saying when they say religion should stick to its principles so that the religion is rejected more easily, put if the principles are gradually broken down then it hardly matters about rejecting it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the opposition. Women's ordination has been in place for I think 20 years.

There are a few places in Scripture taking about women and preaching, and there is debate over the context as it is taken that in pauls letter to Timothy there was specifically a problem in ephesus with women teaching heresy.

But as I've said. Once you have already gone past the point where you allow women to preach there isn't really any concrete consistent objection in denying them the ability to be consecrated as bishops.

All this said though the church shouldn't be in the business of bowing to public opinion. If it doesn't remain dedicated to its core principles it dies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    "There were cheers when it was announced."? I watched the video of it being announced; there was one cheer and a ripple of applause.

Frankly, it barely changes my opinion of the Church. There are so many fabulous members, but I disagree with them on many things, and wish them to lose all voting and voicing rights in the House of Lords, as our democratic structures should reflect the secular nature of our society.
    Agreed. Do away with the established church it's better for everyone involved. Anglicans can run their church as they wish and don't have to worry about parliament getting involved in its internal affairs, and the public doesn't have the church automatically in the Lords.

Also... For the sake of integrity in the monarchy as well it would be a good thing. I am of the opinion that neither Charles nor William actually believe (bit they have to say they do) and once Elizabeth dies the head of the church almost certainly won't actually be a Christian. The separation makes it better for all involved.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.