Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group D SF1: Lord of the Ring: ROTK v Terminator 2 Watch

• View Poll Results: Group D: Semi Final 1
    LOTR: Return of the King
    72.55%
    Terminator 2
    27.45%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    The closing installment of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic saga, this film gives the resolution to one of cinema's most celebrated trilogies. Featuring battles breathtaking in their scope, fantastical creatures brought to life and the end of Frodo's journey to Mordor, Peter Jackson's adaptation lives up to the legacy of the novels.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    Many action films look impressive when they are first made. Few age as well as Terminator 2 has, which still manages to stand up against recent blockbuster fare as a thrilling film. Featuring cutting-edge effects for the time as well as the ambitious attempt to focus on and explore the human side of the characters in the film, Terminator 2 is a sequel to the first film that made Arnold Schwarzenegger a star. Sent back from the future to defend the young John Connor from a shape-shifting cyborg sent back to destroy him, Terminator 2 is an action thrill ride from start to finish.

ReputationRep:
    Terminator 2 is clearly better.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

These are two very good films. But I'd have to go for LotR :yep:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've not seen either in their entirety.
    From the synopsis, trailer(s) and scenes, I think I prefer LOTR. I think Terminator has a bigger cultural impact as it's quite often quoted but honestly I think LOTR is simply better made. The difference in graphics is the main reason for the choice (though as I like high fantasy, I'd have made the choice if they both looked crap).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    ROTK - magnificent production, so so film. You're not being asked to vote for the second holy trinity!

T2 - very good production, magnificent film.

ReputationRep:
    The best of the 80s/90s action genre versus arguably modern cinema's greatest achievement.

Love both, but with a heavy heart I go with LOTR: ROTK.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR: ROTK A very long film with a fairly aweosme fight scene and a cool ending and ! billion awesome effects.

Versus

Terminator 2: A film i haven't seen but judging by the posts of everyone in the thread where it knocked out 2001 it's an awesome Arnie Action film that is lots of fun and everyone should see so i voted for that because it's what i'd rather watch right now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Love them both but I would go for Return of the King.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    LOTR: ROTK A very long film with a fairly aweosme fight scene and a cool ending and ! billion awesome effects.

Versus

Terminator 2: A film i haven't seen but judging by the posts of everyone in the thread where it knocked out 2001 it's an awesome Arnie Action film that is lots of fun and everyone should see so i voted for that because it's what i'd rather watch right now.
    You haven't seen T2? Oh my. Of course it won't have the impact it had back in the early 90s, when believe me we were all absolutely wowed by it, but for my money its the best action movie of its type from that era.

As an aside, just like Back to the Future, it spawned a terrific attraction over at Universal Studios in Florida.

ReputationRep:
    This is very hard for me because they're both great films but it has to be the terminator for me

ReputationRep:
    LOTR is tedious nonsense but I've not seem Terminator (I've got it now and will watch all of them soon) nd it seems unfair to vote for it just out of dislike of LOTR

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've not seen one and don't particularly like the other in any of the match-ups then I abstain. It seems only right.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, I love ROTK and the whole LOTR saga, but NOTHING beats Terminator 2, not a single thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    You haven't seen T2? Oh my. Of course it won't have the impact it had back in the early 90s, when believe me we were all absolutely wowed by it, but for my money its the best action movie of its type from that era.

As an aside, just like Back to the Future, it spawned a terrific attraction over at Universal Studios in Florida.

I'll have to download it soon and check it out! :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Get the DVD! The two disc edition is 1p plus postage second-hand on Amazon, and you're going to be using the slow motion button several times.

Still one of the greatest action films (and best sequels) ever made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Get the DVD! The two disc edition is 1p plus postage second-hand on Amazon, and you're going to be using the slow motion button several times.

Still one of the greatest action films (and best sequels) ever made.
    I may or may not have just ordered this.... :ninja:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I should have added an affiliate link

Let's see, 5% of 1p is...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    While you are waiting for it to arrive, see the original Terminator. It is good, but the budget shows, and it will help you 'get' the sequel.

The later films, T3 and Salvation, never happened.

ReputationRep:
    While you are waiting for it to arrive, see the original Terminator. It is good, but the budget shows, and it will help you 'get' the sequel.

Good plan!

and ok, thanks for the heads up on the later ones...

ReputationRep:

T3? Salvation? Never heard of them!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.